1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wimbledon 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 29, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I guess a thread is neccessary, if only to gauge the lack of interest.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Lost in the first round of the French. Lost in the first round at Wimbledon. Lost 10 of 11 matches at one point this year. Last year's semifinalist at three Grand Slams, Genie Bouchard will be playing qualifiers in a few weeks.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I wish Jo-Wilfried Tsonga would win a major. He had a lot of potential but has been injured pretty frequently for a tennis player I believe. In next two years could be now or never.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

BTE...

Re: Bouchard

Questions are WHY and if she can ever get it back.

I think she did the megabitch thing, which backfired... (Such as, but not limited to when she turned on Robson, Fired Saviano, Refused to shake Romanian player's hand).

But even more than that, she pinned her game to a gimmick --- taking the ball early. When that gimmick was exposed by Kvitova, she took a step back toward the baseline. Without her gimmick, she's just a so-so baseliner.

That, and something with her serve, which Saviano said he fixed... Now the hitch is back and may have contributed to her abdominal tear.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think it's the black bra.

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

#blackbrasmatter

7. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Bumping up after Nadal suffered another early loss, this one to Dustin Brown in the second round.
    It marks the fourth year in a row that Nadal has lost to a player ranked sub-100 going in (Rosol, Darcis, Kyrgios, Brown).
    Are we looking at the end of Nadal as a threat to win majors? Since he is no longer invincible in Paris, I'd say "Yes."
    Am I wrong?

8. BTExpress

His shelf life was always going to be much shorter than, say, a Federer. But the drop has been quite dramatic. He not only didn't win in Paris, but he also didn't win a single European clay-court tournament for the first time. And now that his ranking has dropped to 10, he'll be facing the Djokovics and Murrays in the quarterfinals or Round of 16s of major events.

9. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

His ranking should fall lower after this because he was defending Round of 16 points, if I recall. He still is going to be top 10, maybe top 15 at the very worst, by the time the U.S. Open rolls around.
    Are we on a collision course for Murray-Djokovic II at Wimbledon, or is one of them going to get knocked out beforehand?

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be Wimbledon without John Isner playing a marathon match, would it?

Great match between Isner and Cilic. Three tiebreakers in first four sets and fifth set suspended at 10-10.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's no coincidence Isner plays in so many of those. His serve is so strong that most opponents can't break it (especially on grass), but the rest of his game is so weak, he can't break anyone else's serve, either. That's the recipe for a marathon match.

12. BTExpress

I have never liked watching his matches. The match score usually belies what a boring exercise they are, devoid of shotmaking and athleticism.

Draft saved Draft deleted