1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TopSpin, Jun 26, 2015.

1. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

To quote Moderator 1, “At some point, it has to stop. Doesn't it?”

News on the Post-Dispatch affects the newsroom. Cut and paste from article:

"The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is laying off nine employees, including eight in its newsroom, a newspaper spokeswoman confirmed Friday.

The affected positions include four reporters, a clerk, copy editor, assistant editor and director. A maintenance employee is also being laid off."

Post-Dispatch laying off newsroom employees - St. Louis Business Journal

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mary Junck just asked for another bonus.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I bet they don't touch sports.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sorry for asking, but did they ever fill Burwell's spot? If not, in a sense, they already did cut in sports.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No newspaper chain CEO has done less over a longer period of time than Mary Junck. Jelinek and Singleton had an impact (albeit a negative one) on the industry.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Someone needs to buy the Lee chain (and no, not GateHouse....) when do you say enough is enough?

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't have time to look it up but I think Lee is underwater. So much debt no one will buy them.

Newspapers are selling for five times cash flow tops. So if the debt exceeds five times cash flow the paper probably can't be sold.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Was afraid of that. Wouldn't mind seeing St. Louis in the hands of Buffett.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'd love to see St. Louis added to Buffett's papers, if only so that it would be one of my sister papers.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Something has to give. This is too good a paper to fall down even more in quality. I know Buffett doesn't like big, big-city papers, but Omaha's in the BH fold and you don't hear about World-Herald cuts very often. Also, that paper is consistently strong.

Anyone hear about names of people let go?

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If the Rams leave town and they don't have an NFL team, may as well cut sports a little more.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I read the P-D's sports section daily, and I can tell from the typos and wrong words and missing words, there hasn't been a sports copy editor in at least two years, maybe more. Bernie, Goold, Strauss and Gordon all write a ton, and there is guaranteed to be something wrong in each article.

A friend used to work in online content, and her position was cut at least seven years ago.

I imagine if he were alive, William Woo would be sad to see what the P-D has become.

Draft saved Draft deleted