1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy survives a nightmare of torture and despair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Just a horrible story of humans being inhuman. The boy was lucky to escape.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Handcuffed and shackled to a block of steel, the young boy would brace himself when he heard footsteps outside his bedroom door. He knew that once the grown-ups entered, the abuse would begin.

For years, he was whipped with belts, his face was burned with electrical wires and his fingers were broken with pliers — all to "teach him a lesson." The abusers, who have since pleaded guilty, were his legal guardian — a supervisor with the Department of Social Services in Union County, North Carolina — and her longtime boyfriend, an emergency room nurse.

The abuse ended in November 2013 after police discovered the boy in handcuffs, chained to the front porch of the house with a dead chicken hung around his neck.

When police entered the roach-infested house "covered with urine and animal feces," they found something else: four other children, ages 7 to 14, who had been adopted by the couple over the years. They were removed and placed in protective custody.

All were abused, but authorities say the boy bore the brunt of the couple's rage.

"I was scared to death," the boy, now 13, told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "I thought I wouldn't survive."

Boy chained up with dead chicken around neck tells his story

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, that'll teach her a lesson.

Holy mother of . . .

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

One time, he says Harper cut his left arm and poured salt in the wound. The scar is still visible.
    It reached a point that every time they entered his room, he'd pray: "I hope I don't get hurt."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Damn Muslims.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The story said she had been sentenced to 17 months and had received credit for the time she had been in jail before that, which is standard. The boyfriend got 10 years.

Still, if I'm that kid's mom, I'm finding her and introducing her to a baseball bat. Think any jury would convict her?

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No way. Those two scumbags should have got the death penalty.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think the death penalty is warranted here. Anyone who is that deparaved and takes joy in inflicting that on another human is beyond rehabilitation.

These people should be put down like stray dogs that attacked a child.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Every single time I see a story of horrific abuse, I can't even wrap my head around how someone could do that to another person. These fuckers need to be cut out of the gene pool.

Draft saved Draft deleted