1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Religion of Peace" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I lean left on some issues. I'm proud last week was a rough time for any Confederate flag wavers who think gays should be denied health care because of pre-existing conditions.

That said, count me among the Old Tony's of the world when it comes to my contempt of a world -- and an Oval Office -- that fails to fully confront its most violent, misogynist, intolerant and irrational people.

When it comes to radical Islam, nothing shocks me anymore. The rise of ISIS, the evolution of Boko Haram, the continued thriving of the Taliban equate to a monthly (or sometimes weekly) massacre. Put "I am Charlie" aside. This year alone, we've seen schoolchildren slaughtered in Pakistan, Christian college kids mowed down in Kenya. Did you know when you Google "Tunisia Massacre," you come across two events from 2015? They're among the more than 25,000 terror attacks since 9-11.

I won't even get into the daily depravity of what goes on in what used to be Iraq and Syria, for it will only lead to a tangent involving our president and his insistence on not betraying his Leftist backers and his "legacy." After all, nothing solidifies a president's place in the Progressive Hall of Fame more than a two-term administration that ends without sending a single American soldier being sent to die in a foreign war. Wait, I know what else does: Insisting on using the term "Violent Extremism" while lumping radical Islam with every other religion's fringe elements.

But the unchained, murderous madness does not exist on Islam's fringes. It influences. It erases decades-old borders. It steers the ship. It unites millions from all corners of the globe in a movement, taking the form of the most violent, well-funded, well-organized terrorist group the world has ever seen.

Nothing else, when it comes any other religion, is even a close second. The only thing worse than the horror these people exact is the rest of the world's failure to do something about it.

Mr. Sunshine and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In before the lock?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hot take, yo.

Double Down and Stoney like this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't get too worked up about Obama's rhetoric. He's trying to win a public relations battle. He knows what's up.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't think any religion is the religion of peace.

Maybe Buddhists.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Church of Baseball is fairly peaceful, especially now that there's instant replay.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the goal of this thread.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You play to win the game

SFIND likes this.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Total agreement with Rubber Soul. But this thread won't last long.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Furious jacking-off gesture .

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Gosh, if not for Obama this would have been resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.