1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast-NBCUniversal, Macy's cut ties with the Donald

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 1, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Apparently Macy's learned that their Trump Collection ties were made in the brutal communist dictatorship of China.

Oh, wait, that wasn't it:

More than 728,000 people signed a Moveon.org petition calling on Macy’s to sever its ties with Donald Trump, the real estate mogul-turned-celebrity designer-turned-Republican presidential candidate.

Ditch the Donald!

And Wednesday morning, Macy’s announced that it was doing just that.

“Macy’s is a company that stands for diversity and inclusion. We have no tolerance for discrimination in any form. We welcome all customers, and respect for the dignity of all people is a cornerstone of our culture. We are disappointed and distressed by recent remarks about immigrants from Mexico. We do not believe the disparaging characterizations portray an accurate picture of the many Mexicans, Mexican Americans and Latinos who have made so many valuable contributions to the success of our nation. In light of statements made by Donald Trump, which are inconsistent with Macy’s values, we have decided to discontinue our business relationship with Mr. Trump and will phase-out the Trump menswear collection, which has been sold at Macy’s since 2004.”

Macy’s will end business relationship with Donald Trump - The Washington Post

2. YankeeFan

I love that they are going to "phase-out" the collection.

They have no tolerance foe discrimination in any form, but it's not like they are just going to pull the merchandise from their stores.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I hope this is the last time The Donald uses a presidential campaign as a publicity stunt. He finally stepped in it and it's costing him money.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're selling cravats, they're selling ascots, they're anti-racists ... and some, I assume, are good people.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am guessing the NBC money -- while huge by most of our standards -- isn't going to cause him to lose too much sleep. He's just too wealthy for that. But I wonder how much of a platform that gave him in terms of marketing all of the other crap he sells -- including the Macy's line?

And even if all of that ancillary money doesn't really have much of an affect on him one way or another, the TV show had to have been an ego thing for him. I suspect it hurts him more in terms of the lost opportunity to be in people's faces and be "revelevant" than anything else. I hope that is eating him up.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think that the NBC deals, the clothing lines and Miss USA provide Trump with cash flow not otherwise available. If his holdings are Real Estate, REITs, Real Estate development then he's has wealth but not liquidity. He also holds himself out to be a TV star because of his ratings and his puts himself into the public eye is a boost for licensing his name, which is a cash business. How much his name now worth in Florida, Southern California and Texas? Who wants to do business with him now?

8. YankeeFan

As long as the Chinese keep buying condos from him, he'll be fine.

Besides, I think he's got a lot more cash flow than you think.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In terms of percentage of wealth/potential profits, I think Donald loses very little. But it negatively impacts his brand and potential to expand, especially in the US. He'll find a way to make more money, but I hope he stops seeing a presidential campaign as a marketing campaign.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's worth about $4 billion on the low (Forbes) estimate and closer to $10 billion by his estimate. It's fair to assume that he won't be needing to sell off buildings to have cash in his pocket. If his entire net worth is tied up in illiquid investments, he is dumber than most people even think.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I hope his hair falls out.
    Please, God, oh please ...

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm one step closer to moving to Canada.

Draft saved Draft deleted