1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chris Squire, Yes founder/bassist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Jun 30, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

One of the legends of 1970s prog rock. He formed Yes with Jon Anderson in the late 1960s and stayed with the band until his health started failing in 2014.

The Guardian has an excellent obituary: Chris Squire obituary | Music | The Guardian

The three-album run of The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge in the early 1970s is tough to beat.

RIP to a great musician and songwriter.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Really got in to Yes at the time and I own all three of those albums. RIP, sir.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I had meant to start a thread on this, but dragged my feet on it. Admittedly, I only really got into the band with the 90125 album and "Owner of a Lonely Heart," but that album, and the knowledge that Steve Howe and Geoff Downes of Asia had been mainstays in that band, had me checking out their earlier stuff and I wasn't disappointed. Some great, great musicianship there.

I have Amazon Prime, and I just noticed the three albums Coco mentioned are available on that. I'll have to download those and give a listen.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

RIP to a great musician from a great band.

It's really hard for people to understand how big Yes was unless you were around in the 70s: 'Roundabout' 'Long Distance Runaround', I've Seen All Good People' were FM staples, and they were truly one of the monster bands of the 70s.

The fact that they aren't in the RnR HOF and that Mr. Squire didn't live to see that day may not be a big deal to the band members themselves, but I think it's a tragic oversight and another blemish on the Hall's inductee record.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

"Starship Trooper." Easily one of the best progressive rock songs by a band not named Pink Floyd.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Chris Squire's bass playing was revolutionary, and between him, Steve Howe and original drummer Bill Bruford, Yes were one tight combo. First saw Yes in concert late in my senior year of high school in April 1973, and they completely changed the way I viewed popular music.

RIP, indeed.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Don't forget Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer in that run. I'm playing Relayer right now on my computer.

Find me a good Yes cover band and I'll show you some damn talented musicians. Yes riffs are notoriously difficult, or so I've been told.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

An excellent live performance, both musically and visually:

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Saw Yes live in 1987 but only because my girlfriend at the time got tickets and insisted. Was quite impressed, but never have been a huge fan. However, I am a huge fan of Jon Anderson's solo career and have four of his CDs. Also have the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe CD, which was outstanding.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Both good points, T.T.

And Yes was a damn good cover band themselves ... their 10 minute-plus version of Simon and Garfunkel's "America" is one of my favorites.

Draft saved Draft deleted