1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay threshold for managers to rise to 50K

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The President is planning to change the labor laws that would require businesses that classify their workers as "managers" to pay them at least 50K, or make them hourly employees eligible for overtime. Meaning your local fast-food joint won't be able to have assistant managers who would make $24K working 60 hours a week for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/30/b...ore-americans-eligible-for-overtime.html?_r=0

Makes you wonder how this will affect newspapers, since they are such notorious low-payers. Small and mid-level papers may no longer be getting free labor.

franticscribe and sgreenwell like this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I suppose if there ever was a political "run" where the President feels he can double down on a "Hard 13" against a 6 and still win, this is probably it.

He's playing with an awful lot of house money after the past seven days.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I like that this is targeted right to the middle class.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is long overdue. Good on the president. I hope this doesn't hurt the executive bonus plan too much, though.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm sure many companies will simply change the job title from "manager" to "team leader" or some such euphemism that allows them to work around the law.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh, we have several "team leaders" at our place. Believe they are considered managers, however.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't think the worker's title means anything. Right now, you can be automatically exempted from OT as long as you make in the low $20,000s. This raises that to above $50,000.

They can still pay shitty salaries, but they can only avoid paying OT by not allowing those employees to work OT.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This. Which means a lot of "assistant sports editors" are either going to get raises, overtime, or some of their life back.

EDIT: After the appeals and the pushback from Business, of course.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely. And I wonder which one will happen, the raises, OT or some of their life back? Obviously some of their life, while people above them on the food chain, making more than $50K, would get more of their life taken away.

And that's assuming we live in the fantasy world where these people are expected/encouraged to account for all of their working time and not work off-the-clock.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the newspaper industry, people who are eligible for overtime (whether by law or union contract) have always been pushed or taken it upon themselves to work for free. Why do we think this is going to change?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder if Hillary sent a dozen roses as a thank you to the White House today.

He's set her up nicely, when the enevitable complaints from the right roll in.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. You have to have some kind of managerial duties or be some kind of expert/trainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted