1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s Time to Legalize Polygamy. Why group marriage is the next horizon of social liberalism.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 28, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Someone -- probably Tony -- raised the possibility that polygamy would be the next battleground.

The post was scoffed at, but is there any doubt that if a case was brought before the Supreme Court it would have four guaranteed votes in its favor?

Gay marriage and polygamy have different constituencies, so it's not the next battle for the LGBT community, but I think it is inevitable that it comes before the courts.

Polygamy has been practiced by cultures around the world, for thousands of years. Only in the worst cases of forced child marriages, or due to fraud, do we see it prosecuted.

In reality, it's already accepted.

So, how long until this becomes an issue, and how long before it is legally recognized in one or more states?

Fredrik deBoer, writing for Politico, believes the time is now:

Welcome to the exciting new world of the slippery slope. With the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling this Friday legalizing same sex marriage in all 50 states, social liberalism has achieved one of its central goals. A right seemingly unthinkable two decades ago has now been broadly applied to a whole new class of citizens. Following on the rejection of interracial marriage bans in the 20th Century, the Supreme Court decision clearly shows that marriage should be a broadly applicable right—one that forces the government to recognize, as Friday’s decision said, a private couple’s “love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family.”

The question presents itself: Where does the next advance come? The answer is going to make nearly everyone uncomfortable: Now that we’ve defined that love and devotion and family isn’t driven by gender alone, why should it be limited to just two individuals? The most natural advance next for marriage lies in legalized polygamy—yet many of the same people who pressed for marriage equality for gay couples oppose it.

This is not an abstract issue. In Chief Justice John Roberts’ dissenting opinion, he remarks, “It is striking how much of the majority’s reasoning would apply with equal force to the claim of a fundamental right to plural marriage.” As is often the case with critics of polygamy, he neglects to mention why this is a fate to be feared. Polygamy today stands as a taboo just as strong as same-sex marriage was several decades ago—it’s effectively only discussed as outdated jokes about Utah and Mormons, who banned the practice over 120 years ago.

Yet the moral reasoning behind society’s rejection of polygamy remains just as uncomfortable and legally weak as same-sex marriage opposition was until recently.

It’s Time to Legalize Polygamy - Fredrik deBoer - POLITICO Magazine

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't think it will become an issue at all. Not in my lifetime. Unless someone can prove that polygamists are born that way. The issue of legalizing same-sex marriage was denying rights to people for being who they were born to be. Now, we will probably have a discussion on whether homosexuality is a choice, but that was the issue.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

All it takes is one court case, so I'm not sure you can argue that it won't become an issue in your lifetime.

And, it's already an issue in immigration/refugee cases.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, if you think of it that way, I'm guessing it is already an issue and has been for some time. But in terms of it getting to the Supreme Court? Can't see it. Not a comparable issue.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It looks pretty good in Big Love.

doctorquant likes this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'll take Jeanne Triplehorn and Ginnifer Goodwin. You can have Chloe.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Can you imagine Mr. Furley in a polygamist marriage?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Muslim buddy of mine was telling me about the Quran re: polygamy once. Per him, the Quran says you can have more than one wife, but there's a clause after the comma that goes something like "If you but knew, you'd be happy with just one."

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I would have thought that the Hobby Lobby case would authorize polygamous marriage as a deep seeded religious belief. Government can't interfere with religious beliefs, if Mormons want multiple wives, that's ok with Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts and Kennedy.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Slippery slope!

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I have enough trouble finding one woman to boink. Doing two or more at a time is a stretch goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted