1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it deserves its own thread, even though 99.9 percent of the board, I assume, applauds the decision.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hot diggity, Scalia!

Justice Scalia's Gay Marriage Advice: 'Ask the Nearest Hippie' - NBC News

"Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms?" he wrote. "And if intimacy is, one would think that Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie."

Boom. #askthenearesthippie

John Harrington ‏@JohnHthePoet 4m4 minutes ago
    I asked. The nearest hippie told me "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose" #askthenearesthippie

Tophr 3.0 ‏@mugwumpian 7m7 minutes ago
    is this what it sounds like when doves cry? #askthenearesthippie

skullsinthestars ‏@drskyskull 31m31 minutes ago
    #AskTheNearestHippie Dear nearest hippie: would any amount of drugs make Scalia not be like that?

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nearest Hippie is a good name for a band.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know where the hell he's finding all these hippies since California isn't in the West.

Take, for example, this Court, which consists of only nine men and women, all of them successful lawyers who studied at Harvard or Yale Law School. Four of the nine are natives of New York City. Eight of them grew up in east- and west-coast States. Only one hails from the vast expanse in-between. Not a single Southwesterner or even, to tell the truth, a genuine Westerner (California does not count).

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm glad Scalia has given us a historical document of all his insanity. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly in history.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Roberts' dissent today is pretty hilarious when taking into account his written opinion in yesterday's Obamacare decision.

One day we're a nation of men, not laws. The next day we're a nation of laws, not men. How convenient to be able to switch whenever you want to.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Good news for gays: They can get married.

Bad news for gays: They can get married.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure every single justice is more interested in reaching their ideological and personal beliefs when it comes to situations like this. Contradictory opinions are no worry for any of them, be it Roberts, Scalia, or anyone else.

At least the court got it right this time. But I admire Roberts as much or more than as any of them. Even when I don't agree with him, his opinions are always well thought out.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law," Justice Anthony Kennedy said in his 28-page ruling. "The Constitution grants them that right."

Thank you, 14th amendment. Future Americans will someday wonder how a cretin like Scalia ever made the Supreme Court.

schiezainc and SnarkShark like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This has been a really bad week for conservatives. No more Confederate flag on some state grounds. The ACA survives a mother challenge. And now gays can legally get married in all 50 states.

They want their Confederate Countreeee back.

Draft saved Draft deleted