1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best headphones for running?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Anybody have any preferences for headphones for use during running and other workouts? I usually just go cheap, but I've put a few pairs through the laundry now, and I've come to realize that I'll keep doing that until I get a decent pair worth taking care of. Just like with sunglasses - I always bought cheap ones, broke them or lost them, and then bought Ray Bans that I've had now six years and are in mint condition.

I was looking at the Bose QC20s, but while the noise canceling is supposed to be great, I've read that they don't hold up well to sweat. What do you use?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've had good success with Shure earbuds. The ones in the price range you are talking about (and I own a predecessor to these) are:

SE215 Sound Isolating™ Earphones | Shure Americas

I am not a sound snob -- I don't think my ears are refined enough to hear subtle differences. But the sound quality is good as far as I am concerned, and they cancel out noise really well.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Don't ask me, I've lost probably a half-dozen in the past 2 years...from cheapos to Bose.

FML

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I want in on this thread too ... I need a non-earbud option that holds up well to sweat. I'm horribly prone to ear infections and doc blames my wearing earbuds.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I dislike the wrap around the ear style, but i guess i may need to adjust.

Anyone ever run withh over-the-ear headphones, or is that as bad an idea as it would seem?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I swear by the Skullcandy over-ear headphones. Very comfortable, reasonably priced ($20) and the sound is pretty good.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mpow Cheetah Sports. They're wraparounds that are awesome. Can't get the amazon link to post.

A few bucks more, but they're bluetooth and have different size canal tips.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just bought these; I'm coming after you for my money back if they suck.

10. three_bags_full

Work pretty well, but they're not the easiest things to turn on. Hold down the power button for three seconds to turn it on; keep holding for a couple of seconds for bluetooth activation. Problem is that the power button is on the top of the right earpiece and the shape makes it a bit more difficult, especially when you have something else in your hand. Otherwise, give it a charge every couple days and they're good.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Bought a pair for myself and my 16-yo son on your recommendation, 3bf, and they seem pretty slick after a day or so. You're right, the buttons are not the handiest thing about them, but they are pretty comfortable and work well. For $30, seems like a good deal. Thanks for the tip.

12. three_bags_full

Cool. Glad you like 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted