1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Mess With Texas: Entire Staff Leaves Jefferson Newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

JEFFERSON — The staff of the Jefferson Jimplecute, the fifth-oldest newspaper in Texas, decided to leave the newspaper over disagreements regarding pay.

The owner has said the paper still will be produced. The last issue the former staff worked on was Wednesday's.

"There were a number of issues that had been going on related to being paid for the work we were doing," former General Manager Hugh Lewis said, not elaborating more than saying the staff spent more than a month trying to resolve those issues. "We stayed through graduation season to get out a graduation section for our local area students so we could ensure they got the recognition they deserved for their achievements. Once that was over, we all optioned to leave."

2. Riptide

"Dadgummit: They done killed my Jimplecute."

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Two things:

- Jimplecute. Amazing.
    - It's not quite exact, but I love the idea of a newsman named Hugh Lewis. Hope he stays in the business.

Fastball34 likes this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lewis reportedly started the staff meeting by saying "If this is it, please let me know."

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The reports are the staff hadn't been paid for a month, yet had continued to work because it was graduation season. I don't know whether to laud them for their dedication or castigate them for not letting their owner take the heat from the community over his shady business practices.

7. Riptide

I sense your displeasure at working for free.

8. What an awesome name for a paper.

I see the Jimplecute, though, had not really adjusted to the digital age. The website is meh, the Facebook page looks poorly run and its Twitter is nonexistent.

There has to have been at least one "famous" alum to come out of this paper, right? I see the 1986 state champion football team produced 10 D-I-caliber players, including Rafael Robinson. Never heard of the guy but he had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Their big graduation story has exactly one photo on-line. (Walking to the Future |) It's not a bad one but it's about the size of a match-box, placed at the bottom of the article, and finally, tilted sideways.

I sense some passive-aggressiveness here.

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jimplecute sounds southern and racist to me. Should be banned.

doctorquant and Kayaugstin Kott like this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Jimplecute sounds like some ol' boy was trying to tell a girl her dimples are cute but the wad of Red Man chaw got in his way.

12. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Damn you! When I was reading this thread I was gonna comment that he's getting a lot more than a couple days off, but then you had to get there first.

Draft saved Draft deleted