1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts in Madison, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Jun 19, 2015.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Damn. Damn. Damn.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Son of a... that's a pretty damn good paper. My thoughts to everyone there.

4. Mira

Mira Member

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was just coming here to post that. God, what's next... don't answer that...

6. Mira

Mira Member

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

From that article (emphasis added). Never fails and always .... shall I say, ironic?

"Sources says these layoffs, announced to staff late Thursday afternoon by State Journal editor John Smalley, were not voluntary.

Smalley did not promptly respond to an emailed request for comment."

&

"The layoffs at the State Journal are part of a company-wide belt-tightening. Sources say The Capital Times has also asked for layoff volunteers. And it is unclear whether the paper intends to fill the gap left by the recent voluntary departure of business reporter Mike Ivey. “No comment,” wrote editor Paul Fanlund, in response to a question on this."

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I love (sarcasm) the way newspapers like the joke in Detroit think good business is immediately firing the veteran writers who actually have a following. The Detroit paper canned that Hall of Famer recently. How the hell do they think that is good business? Newspaper salaries are low to begin with. How can hiring a couple stiffs for 22,000 make up for the Detroit baseball writer who was probably lucky to be making 100,000? Hey Gatehouse and Gannett, keep giving your CEOs 500,000 plus a year and firing all your brand names. That's sure to kill the print product very soon, which obviously is your goal! Keep it up, please!

9. Mira

Mira Member

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nut graf:
    These layoffs hurt the paper in the long run, but they may fix the books
    for another year. The layoffs probably ensure that Lee execs get their bonuses.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just sad, sad, sad.

And what makes it even sadder is that sports tend to pay its bills. So there's a good chance that every other department has been cut to the bone already, and sports is the only department left with decent salaries.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How does sports "tend to pay its bills"? It's the most expensive topic to cover, by far.

Draft saved Draft deleted