1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the "coolest" franchise in sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 19, 2015.

?

What is the "coolest" franchise in sports?

1. Chicago Blackhawks

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Green Bay Packers

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Montreal Canadians

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. New York Yankees

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Chicago Cubs

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Boston Red Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Boston Celtics

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Los Angeles Lakers

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  9. Dallas Cowboys

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. Other

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When this team wins, the sport is better for it. And you're proud as hell to wear this team's awesome gear.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You can't say When this team wins and have the Cubs as a choice. If the Cubs ever win it will bbe a very cool moment. But BOSOX fans were cute as snake-bit unlucky, choking downtrodden underdogs. But after winning a couple Redsox Nation is probaly more despised around the country than Yankee fans. Cowboy fans and Red Sox fans are probably the most reviled.

I think the Patriots are the coolest team to win. It's basically the Emperor, Darth Brady and an infinite number of henchmen.

3. Dick Whitman

For some reason, it won't let me add additional responses.

Other teams that come to mind:

• Pittsburgh Steelers;
    • Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers;
    • Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland A's;
    • New England Patriots;
    • Manchester United;
    • C.D. Guadalajara;
    • New York Knicks.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh God no the Steelers.

The A's?

I have no idea what the criteria is for this list. Life is better and baseball makes tons of money when the San Francisco Giants win, and that's a proven fact.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sorry, Red Sox fans were insufferable dicks (in general) long before they won the World Series.

6. Dick Whitman

The A's are an outside-the-box choice, I know. But they are an original American League team, for one thing. And they have two very interesting periods as renegades of the sport, the Finley A's and the Beane A's.

I guess the Raiders should be on there, too, with that criteria.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the "life is better" part is a bit subjective. :)

Seriously, at least in part, this is about popularity. From that standpoint, the Steelers belong in the discussion, though I'm not sure cool is the word I'd use to describe that franchise.

Small markets that win are good for the perception of the sport and black and gold gear is popular even among people who aren't fans of Pittsburgh teams. But the way the NFL is constructed, I'm not sure how much it matters which team wins in terms of overall good of the sport.

I think that matters more in a sport with regional revenues playing a larger role like baseball. Maybe that makes the Yankees the choice. They certainly draw strong reactions, win or lose.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Didn't Connie Mack trade off his stars and continue to win anyway?

And Connie Mack alone makes the A's cool.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dick, I think you're around my age (mid-30s). As a young baseball fan, there was NOTHING cooler than Canseco and McGwire. They belong.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, Connie Mack sold off his stars (mostly for cash) and turned a HOF dynasty team into dungeon dwellers for 20 years.

Twice.

Then, finally, he used his franchise in one of the earliest cases of stadium blackmail.

A true pioneer of the strip and loot race to the bottom mentality.

Fuck Connie Mack.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Don't know if coolest fits the description in the initial post, but the coolest franchise has to be the Lakers. Consistent championship contender/winner, some of the most illustrious players in the history of the game, Hollywood/celebrity fan base, Jack Nicholson courtside.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Nailed it, right out of the gate.

Draft saved Draft deleted