1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic/ iconic movies you've never seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Talking with a number of people, I realized there are a holy hell of a lot of iconic 70s-90s movies I've never seen.

I'll start with:
    Apocalypse Now
    The Deer Hunter
    Jaws
    Goodfellas
    Most James Bond films

I'd also add the LOTR and Harry Potter series, but I've made conscious decisions never to watch those, so they don't count.

What are some of the leading titles on your list?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

All of the ones you listed except Jaws, which I probably haven't seen in 25 years.

I scratched the Godfather off the list last year, but I haven't seen any of the sequels.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen any of the Godfather movies, except for snippets on cable, until the late Nineties.

Then, I think, HBO ran a GF marathon weekend and I watched all three back-to-back-to-back.
    Shortly after I got the DVD box set as a gift and I was off and running. Pretty soon, I could recite every single line from all three movies, including deleted scenes.

I never saw 2001: ASO until about ... 2001.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. JackReacher

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've not seen so many classic/iconic movies it's a source of amusement for friend and associate alike.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saw Star Wars for the first time maybe 10 years ago. Just as dumb as I thought which is why I never wanted to see it a a kid.

Haven't seen Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

None of the LOTR and just one of the Harry Splotter flicks.

Haven't seen the last 8 or 15 Bond films. What are they up to, 46? Fucker is more Undefeated than Whitlock ever dreamed about.

Schindler's List.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies. Or Scarface, either. I'm really not into the whole mobster thing.

And Song, I loved the original Star Wars when it came out in 1977 and eagerly went to see The Empire Strikes Back. But I left that movie so pissed off that I have never watched another Star Wars film since. NOTHING was resolved at the end of the picture. I mean, I understand that was the middle installment of a trilogy, but as a moviegoer, I just feel like each individual film has to stand on its own, too. So even if there are some loose ends left hanging as a cliffhanger, there needs to be some sort of ending/resolution there.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Shawshank Redemption
    Saving Private Ryan
    Forrest Gump

9. JackReacher

You know the way some people are like "HOLY FUCK YOU DIPSHIT, HOW HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE GODFATHER?!!?!?"? I'm kinda-sorta that way with Shawshank. You should probably see it, mainly because you'd like it. I can't imagine anyone not liking that movie. Aliens, maybe.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe I have seen every movie on that list that was filmed after 1932 at least.

Of the top 20, some are the usual classics, but if you haven't seen Sunset Boulevard or The Graduate, you should. Both great, entertaining films.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Blade Runner

Those are the two that I want to see that come to mind.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Alien or Aliens (sequel)?

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted