1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Badmouth coach to media, get BP fastballs at your head

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My questions:

1. You throw at her head and hit her in the wrist?

2. A reporter covering a mediocre college softball team badgers a player three times to answer off the record questions about her transfer four years previously? What's up with that?

3. Starman

And then the coaches immediately hear about the allegedly off-the-record responses.

Also Sparty softball is hardly mediocre; "mediocre" would constitute improvement of an astonishing degree.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a catcher in Texas who could play for this guy.

5. Starman

The coach is a woman, and she may indeed be available for HS coaching jobs very shortly.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's some pretty bad shit.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm sure that's one of the 17 million unwritten rules in baseball/softball -- badmouth the coach and you get a BP fastball under the chin.

Suck it up, babe.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Has either ever had balls bounce off their chin before?

spikechiquet likes this.
  9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I'd read a column advocating for the coach's firing two weeks ago before this broke.

That said, for better or for worse, these kinds of stories work their way out of bad programs all the time.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Buried the coach's name in the seventh graf. Reporter fail. I started hunting for it after the second.

11. Starman

Graf 7 should have been pushed up to Graf 3. Maybe one of the dozens of copy editors the Snooz has laid off in recent years would have caught that.

Nobody really cares enough about softball for anybody to run columns on disgruntled/ dissatisfied players, except possibly the school paper -- unless the alleged misconduct is pretty scandalous.

The MSU softball program has been atrocious for years. In 2012 I believe the team went winless in the Big Ten.

The Free Press, picking up from the Lansing State Journal, followed up today with a second day story which indicates some individual players / parents may have had an agenda to get rid of the coaching staff.

Ex-Michigan State softball player's allegations spur investigation

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're softball players, so I'm guessing the answer is 'No.'

Draft saved Draft deleted