1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man dies after locking himself inside car

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A 72-year-old man in Texas, along with his dog, died of heat exhaustion after locking himself inside his 2007 Corvette.
    Apparently, the battery cable came loose and disabled the power locks and horn, and he didn't know the manual door lock is on the floorboard.
    Is this a Darwin Award winner, or a potentially juicy lawsuit? I mean, how in the hell is there not a door lock or handle on the actual door? Or at least somewhere where it's easier to find?

Texas man, dog die after being trapped in Corvette

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you break the window?

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Did he forget how to kick out a window, too?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He was 72. He might not have been strong or limber enough to break the window. Maybe he tried.

So yes, I think his family is going to collect some serious coin from GM.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe GM can file for bankruptcy again and then claim that the GM that built that car is the OLD GM and this is the NEW GM.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Did he die doing what he loved?

Double Down likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It says responders finally broke the window but it was too late. I seriously wonder that if it wasn't a new Corvette if the window would have been smashed a lot earlier.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Many C6 Corvettes have removable tops as well.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Definitely not Darwin Award stuff to my mind. Darwin awards are for people doing stupid things. He was just an old guy in his car.
    2) Is there a lawsuit here? I mean, everything is a lawsuit, but reasonably did GM do anything negligent or that you can argue made the car inherently unsafe? There is a mechanical release lever. He didn't know about it. But if it's in the car and its in the owners manual, SHOULD GM be held responsible?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you could argue that hiding the door release in the floor isn't the safest or most obvious place when you need to get out of the car in an emergency. And he apparently he was trying to find the info in the owner's manual.

You ever try to find what you need in one of those? That's worth a lawsuit right there.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

When you panic you can do stupid stuff. Even back in the roll-up window era people drowned in submerged cars because they lost their shit and forgot how to escape.

Draft saved Draft deleted