1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Aberdeen, SD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports editor needed

Date Posted June 09, 2015
    Location Aberdeen, South Dakota
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary $45,000 to $50,000
    Website http://www.aberdeennews.com

Description:
    The American News in Aberdeen, South Dakota, seeks a creative and energetic sports editor to lead our team in print and digital.

With several area high schools, two collegiate sports programs, a minor league hockey team, and auto and horse racing, among other sports and outdoors activities, there is plenty to keep us busy.

This editor will plan and oversee coverage of local and regional sports. This person must be able to guide our staff in developing stories (game coverage, features and news); to lead in video, digital, mobile and print storytelling; and to help us grow our audience on social media platforms.

The ideal editor will continue to make the American News’ sports coverage the most compelling in the state through strong journalism and creativity, no matter the platform.

Qualified candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum 3-5 years of relevant professional experience.

Superb news judgment and a knowledge of Associated Press style is also required. You must be able to work nights and weekends, with some regional travel.

Apply online by following this link: Career Opportunities - Schurz Communications Inc.

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

If people are curious, Aberdeen is a town of 25,000 in northeastern SD. 180 miles from Fargo, ND, and 200 miles from Sioux Falls, SD. On the two collegiate teams in town, one is Division II and the other is NAIA. Aberdeen is a regional hub, so you get quite a few HS playoff games in town in addition to the four high school teams.

3. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

That seems like a pretty good salary for a market that size.

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Ummmm that's damn good. Almost too good to be true.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Ripkens were in Aberdeen for a while.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't you mean Aberdeen, Maryland? They still own the minor-league team there, I believe.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

On the other hand, if someone has any pertinent info please DM me. Today if possible.

9. Clippers Logo

Clippers Logo New Member

I'd say that's a great salary in a market that size.

10. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

It's a Schurz paper with 15-20k circulation.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bumped back to top, if only because this is a job I applied for... and didn't get.

Emily Horos, who was SE at the Cherokee Tribune in Georgia, is the new SE here. APSE tweeted this out before anyone could be notified (not even the sports staff knew) that they didn't get the job.

Still, having been there I can say Aberdeen is a GREAT city and J.J. Perry is a class act. He admitted it was a difficult decision. Best of luck to Emily!

12. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I also interviewed before I took another position. Good luck to Emily. And JJ was definitely a class act and followed up with me when I took the other position to congratulate me.

Draft saved Draft deleted