1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marco Rubio NYT story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Since personal finance seems to be a hot topic on here lately, I think this is a worthy subject of discussion. I think the conversation can certainly be had without a single thought given to the politics of it.

The NYT, in its second piece in a week vetting presidential candidate Marco Rubio of Florida, reported today that he's had some personal financial troubles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/10/us/politics/marco-rubio-finances-debt-loans-credit.html

The problem is that the difficulties don't seem to be so far outside the norm, or so difficult. To wit:

• He emptied a retirement account of $68,000 because he needed the money.
    • He accumulated $150,000 in law school debt.
    • He bought an $80,000 boat with his $800,000 book advance.
    • He took out a home improvement loan.
    • He leased an Audi.
    • He only saves, or has only saved, over time, at a 2 percent rate.
    That seems to largely cover it. There's some stuff in there about how he used a GOP credit card to pave his driveway, but it seems like it was above board and paid back in a timely fashion.

Two questions:

1. Is it that aberrant?
    2. Was the New York Times out of bounds with this as an A1 story?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How has he been at trading cattle futures?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It really seems like all this Rubio stuff is very much a non-story.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The story doesn't make him seem that different from a lot of people who aren't very good with their finances, but it doesn't exactly paint a picture of someone you'd want making important financial decisions. Similarly, the traffic violations story made him and his wife look a little irresponsible. There was nothing dramatic about any of this stuff, but it was all fair game and you learned a bit about him and his wife.

Honestly, I'm surprised Norman Braman didn't just make all of his financial problems go away.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Rubio's wife got 13 of the 17 tickets. That means Rubio was cited for four tickets in 18 years.

I'm sure the fact his wife is a horrible driver will affect Rubio's ability to govern.

Actually, he should use that in his campaign: If I'm elected president, my wife and I will be driven everywhere, so you won't have to worry about us being on the road.

Haven't had a chance to read the financial story, but it certainly doesn't sound earth-shaking.

LongTimeListener and doctorquant like this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds very much like an "OK, you've been at this for a month, give us what you've got" story.

The news would be a lot better without those.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Rubio should have written a novel/memoir about an absent father he met once and had Oprah go gaga over it.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1. No, and that shouldn't be a bad thing. Maybe he understands more middle class issues (albeit very, very upper middle class) and what it's like to have to make some difficult financial choices. Maybe he understands some of the traps people can fall into when things get sideways, and has some insight on what to fix.
    Romney got creamed in 2012 for being too wealthy. If people want to cream Rubio for being too poor, then what on earth are we looking for?

2. As long as Rubio isn't the only candidate they're doing this on, then no, it's not out of bounds at all. That includes Hillary and whoever rises up to challenge her on the Democrat side.
    Sometimes, finding nothing remarkable -- especially about a candidate for the presidency -- is pretty newsworthy in its own right.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Guy From Miami Buys Boat He Can't Afford... Film at 11.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He wants the country to live within its means and not spend more than it takes in. He's against taxing and spending but lives as if he borrows and spends.. Sounds like he doesn't believe his policies work but has them to gain power

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He should just write a Times op-ed, announcing he just doesn't feel like paying anything back.

If he doesn't get elected president, maybe he could become a football coach. Grand Valley State may have an opening.

SpeedTchr and doctorquant like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted