1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your current favorite artist? Who else has topped your list?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

I went on a road trip last weekend, and finally got around to listening to Louis CK's podcast with Marc Maron. (Side note: It's awesome.) I realized I've reached the point with Louis CK where I've pretty much consumed everything of Louis CK's there is to consume, and I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I fucking love Louis CK. If Louis CK announced a nine-part HBO mini-series on the history of onions, I would keep paying for HBO when Game of Thrones' season ended.

Is it weird that I've always tended to have one person like that? I've thought about it and, for the most part, tried to distill it down to one living, breathing person whose work I couldn't get enough of at various points in my life.

Here, in approximately chronological order, is an incomplete, somewhat embarrassing list of people who's onion documentary I would've watched at that time in my life. I left out a ton of people whose work I love - Larry David, David Hyde Pierce (weird choice but awesome, right?), the Wu-Tang Clan - but never fell in love with.

Good luck finding a common denominator with mine; what are yours?

Jesus *
    Beverly Cleary
    Franklin W. Dixon
    Mr. T
    Steve Largent
    Lucille Ball
    Sam Malone
    Hulk Hogan
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Sir Mix-a-Lot **
    Dana Carvey
    Garth Brooks ***
    Pink Floyd
    Matt Groening
    Tupac
    Quentin Tarantino
    Eminem
    The Coen brothers
    Atmosphere
    Chris Rock
    David James Duncan ****
    David Chase
    Stephen Colbert
    David Simon *****
    John Steinbeck
    Michael Schur
    Amy Poehler ******
    Louis CK

* Damn it, mom.
    ** I grew up in the Northwest and Nirvana's fans were super annoying. Trust me, it was way more fun to blast "Posse on Broadway" if you lived in Tacoma in 1992.
    *** Blame it all on my roots.
    **** Go ahead and read The Brothers K right now.
    ***** Enough about The Wire (not really!) - read the books.
    ****** Quick acknowledgment that it's weird both Schur and Poehler are on here, and not good that Poehler's only the second woman.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, that's just your opinion, man.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Damn, I had the same list. So never mind.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mine right now would be photographers Peter Lik and John Knopf. Both guys are incredibly talented and I enjoy following them on social media. Lik recently set the world record for selling the most expensive photo print, an image called "Phantom", for $6.5 million.

At various other times my list has probably included:
    Martin Scorsese
    David Fincher
    Steven Spielberg
    Jimi Hendrix
    Kurt Cobain
    Eddie Vedder
    Eddie Murphy
    Dave Chappelle
    Chris Rock

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd qualify most of the people on my list as entertainers rather than artists but:

When I was old enough to take an interest in music, I was obsessed with Billy Joel.
    From there I went through:
    Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd
    The Doors
    The Grateful Dead
    Bob Dylan

By about 19 I had kicked that habit of obsessively absorbing someone's entire catalog.

I still fall into long lags with certain writers, most recently it was Abraham Merritt. I'm not sure I can put the writers in chronological order:
    Tom Wolfe
    John Norman
    Hunter Thompson
    James Joyce
    Thomas Hardy
    David Sedaris
    Robert Anton Wilson
    Raymond Chandler
    Joseph Campbell
    Fritz Lieber

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Jerry Seinfeld.

Anything he does, I will watch. I've seen every episode of Seinfeld multiple times. I've seen him live twice and he kills. I fucking love his web series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. (The one with Louis CK is great, by the way.) Any interview with him, I'm watching. He is just the kind of guy that hits me in exactly the right spot.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Stumbled into one of his galleries in Mandalay Bay. His stuff is incredible. He had a show on the Weather Channel that was very cool as well.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Brothers K is a(n) hilarious book.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In no particular order:
    John Steinbeck
    Wilco (seeing them for the ninth (10th?) time this summer at Crossroads in K.C.)
    Alice in Chains' "Dirt"
    Nirvana
    David Foster Wallace
    Pink Floyd
    Boxing on ESPN
    Louis L'Amour
    Derrick Thomas
    Kurt Warner and the Rams' three-year run
    Mizzou basketball in the 1980s
    Mizzou football recently
    St. Louis Cardinals always (taking my 6-year-old to her first game in a few weeks)
    Women, always and forever, amen

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Monet
    Matisse
    Rembrandt

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Steve Kerr.

Draft saved Draft deleted