1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Fantasy writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dfs, Jun 9, 2015.

1. dfs

dfs New Member

Daily Fantasy Talk, a website that covers the Daily Fantasy Sports industry, is seeking a candidate to lead its editorial team - and by "team," we basically mean you.

The gig will pay $40k to $55k yearly (this is negotiable) and will include a health insurance credit. You will be able to work from home and, to some extent, set your own hours. However, we'll expect you to write at least a few stories per day and cover all aspects of the Daily Fantasy industry, which includes news, industry developments, commentary, legal updates, etc. You'll be expected to develop sources (we can help you get started) and break news. We'll also provide you with a modest freelance budget to work with.

The ideal candidate will be innovative and have a content plan/strategy that he/she can implement. We are looking for an ambitious self-starter who can work independently and doesn't need to be micromanaged. Fantasy sports experience is NOT required. (We'd much rather have a great reporter capable of covering the DFS industry like a traditional beat than a self-proclaimed fantasy expert.)

Please send a resume or clips to info@dailyfantasytalk.com. If your resume isn't updated, a decent-length email explaining your background, experience and vision for the site will suffice. We will reply to all emails within a couple hours, and will be working to fill this position quickly.

2. FinsFan

FinsFan New Member

Interesting post...

3. dfs

dfs New Member

Thanks to those who have emailed to express interest.

A few things worth noting after reading submissions:

1) We don't care how many top-3 finishes you've had in your fantasy leagues, so as hard as it might be, please leave that off your list of qualifications. (And besides, championships matter most.)

2) We don't care (that much) about what you've done. We're more interested in what you'll do. An up-and-comer out of college who understands how to write for a website and cultivate an audience and break news should have just as good a chance as an industry vet who has worked every job in a 20-year career.

3) Sending from an AOL.com email address and stating your age is redundant. :)

4. dfs

dfs New Member

Just to provide an update, but we've narrowed our list down to a handful of candidates and will hope to make a hire by the end of next week.

Thanks again for the interest.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This seems like a great gig. Wish I had seen it earlier. I might have thrown my name in the ring. I love fantasy sports and would love to write about them.

6. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Assuming it's too late to send something now?

7. dfs

dfs New Member

Sorry, just seeing this. We have yet to officially make a hire, so no, it's not too late.

jaxson5 likes this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Awesome. I don't know what's better, this post or the original job posting. Now, that is how you post a job without getting ripped to shreds in these parts. Detailed, but to the point.

9. dfs

dfs New Member

Just wanted to provide an update ...

We've tentatively made a hire, so as of this posting, the full-time gig advertised above is filled. Thanks to everyone who submitted resumes, clips, content plans, etc. This was far more competitive than we could have expected and there were numerous people who we felt were deserving of the opportunity (no, really!)

There's a good chance - a very good chance, actually - that we'll be making additional hires in the near future for either part-time or freelance opportunities. It's also conceivable that other full-time gigs might open. We plan to keep all resumes, etc., on file, but if you have interest in part-time or freelance work, feel free to let us know so we can put you on a short list of people to call. (If curious, our freelance rates are in the neighborhood of $125 to $150 for a standard-length article; more for pieces that require extra reporting, research, etc.)

If you want to send us a resume for a possible job down the road, feel free. We'll for sure look at anything that comes in and keep you in mind.

jaxson5 likes this.
  10. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

Congrats to the winner of this one and kudos for one of the quickest job searches I've seen on this board. Great communication throughout. Let's hope others hiring now and in the future are taking notes.

SFIND, Potter, Waldo9939 and 2 others like this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What Les said. Surprised it went THAT quickly, but I hope whoever gets the gig works out well and enjoys it.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sounds like they had someone in mind from the get-go. Who got the job? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted