1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennials don't care about owning anything, and it's destroying traditional retail

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 9, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I still can't believe Dick didn't start this thread last week when the article came out, but the subject has been brought up in other threads, so I thought this was worth posting:

The tendency of millennials to rent instead of buy is turning the retail industry upside down.

"Battered by student loan debt and the Great Recession, Millennials place less emphasis on owning and more on sharing, bartering and trading to access coveted goods," Jilian Mincer of Reuters reports.

"These behaviors have propelled businesses such as car rental service Zipcar, taxi service Uber and home rental site Airbnb."

And the trend is extending into clothing.

Apparel retailers are threatened by rental startups like Rent the Runway and Bag Borrow or Steal, Grace Ehlers writes on industry website The Robin Report.

Renting has also spread to the music and hospitality industries with companies like Spotify and Airbnb, Ehlers writes.

"Never mind buying a second home when you can rent a chateau in France on Airbnb for $200. Why hire a chauffeur when they don’t come with an app that tracks their relative location to yours, like Uber?" she says. "Even owning the latest album of your favorite band feels a lot less appealing when you can stream it immediately on and offline with a Spotify pro membership, without taking up any space on your hard drive."

Rent the Runway has even started an unlimited subscription service for accessories and handbags.

Millennials are renting instead of buying - Business Insider

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just wait until more Boomers figure it's time to sell the house to fund their retirement years. Then the student debt crisis isn't the student's problem, it will become everyone's problem since housing prices will take a hit because potential homeowners won't be able to qualify for as big of a loan due to their student debt.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They all have two hobbies: Food and travel.

Four hobbies, actually.

Food. Travel. Talking about their food. Talking about their travels.

expendable likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

doctorquant and Dick Whitman like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, you missed that one, Dick.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It doesn't bode well for the economy if people don't buy stuff they don't need then regularly replace it with newer, shinier stuff they don't need.

Jeff and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I guess I would consider that a subgroup of talking about it.

8. Dick Whitman

For the record, I completely endorse Instagramming food that one has prepared him or herself.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Do cocktails count as food?

10. Dick Whitman

Yep.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was in a TV industry seminar the other day where a massive millenial survey was presented. Turns out they LOVE to pay for what they are watching, as long as there are zero ads. They really hate advertising in all forms.

And this was a very comprehensive study that should make marketers tremble.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes. Not having a consumption addiction is awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted