1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ames Tribune - Preps/Iowa State women’s basketball reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by azilis, Jun 8, 2015.

1. azilis

azilis New Member

Here's an opening for a job in a great, relatively small university town. I am the one leaving this job, and I highly endorse it for anyone looking to develop their career. You'll have the freedom to take on bigger stories and cover one of the most-followed women's basketball teams in the country. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

From JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports writer wanted

The Ames Tribune has an opening for a preps/Iowa State women’s basketball reporter who is well versed in the 21st century approach to journalism. The successful candidate would be adept at integrating a web-first approach, including a social media plan, into their coverage, giving readers content in the medium in which they digest it. The Ames Tribune is seeking someone capable of dominating a beat and building the necessary sources to break stories. Our reporters tell stories beyond play-by-play from a game, digging for stories readers need to know, want to know and don’t realize they should know until reading the story. Our reporters are asked to shoot video.

If you are interested in joining the Ames Tribune sports staff, please sent a resume, cover letter and up to five writing samples to sports editor Bobby La Gesse at rlagesse@amestrib.com.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Thanks for posting. Where are you heading?

3. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Bobby is good people. Would recommend working for him.

4. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

Covered the UK women's team in the NCAA Tournament in Ames about three years ago and enjoyed the trip much more than I anticipated. Hilton Coliseum is fantastic and I had one of the best rack of ribs ever (somewhere - can't remember the spot!).

5. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Good paper in a good town.

6. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

Hickory Park, perhaps?

7. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

I don't think so. Let's play "Name Those Ribs."
    Ribs!.jpg

8. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

Do you guys do any coverage of events at Iowa Speedway? Isn't the track like 45 minutes or so away?

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Been to Ames a couple of times, and heading back there soon. This seems like a pretty good gig to me. I liked what I saw from their paper and people. Good town, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted