1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iola (KS) Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by slm227, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slm227

slm227 New Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

Sports editor. Looking for an all around sports hound who can write and take pictures. Layout skills a plus.

Starting pay is $27,000 to a new college graduate or to someone with commensurate experience in newspapers. Includes insurance and employer-match IRA plan. Camera is a Nikon D3.

The Iola Register is a daily newspaper in southeast Kansas, home of Allen Community College and the Bowlus Fine Arts Center. The Register is the only daily in Allen County.

News staff has five reporters, including sports. We publish in full color, five days a week. Sports is a big component of the newspaper.

Iola is a community of 5,700 in a county of 13,000. Amenities include miles and miles of converted railroad trails perfect for bike riding, hiking or walking.

Kansas City and Lawrence are an easy 90-minute drive away; Wichita, two hours.

The Register is a fourth-generation family owned publication with a commitment to community.

Visit our website at iolaregister.com.

Contact Susan Lynn, editor and publisher, at editorial@iolaregister.com or 620-365-2111.

2. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

Annnnnnnnd, it's a pay site … can't even get to the sports section ...

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I saw an Allen County basketball game that featured Isaiah Rider, then known as JR, repeatedly grabbing his crotch and flipping off the crowd.

That's all I got.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

My paper is 40 miles east (and if you figure out which one that is, I don't care that much).

The paper is still family owned but they shut down their press about three or four years ago and currently print in Lawrence, so early deadlines. Your coverage area will be extensive because it's not just the only daily in Allen County ... there's no other daily in two of the four counties it reaches into. There's six high schools and the juco in its coverage area. You share one school with Chanute (Humboldt) and one with Emporia (Southern Coffey County). The other high schools are Yates Center, Marmaton Valley (in Moran) and Crest (in Colony).

That starting pay is about the same as I make here after almost 20 years, meaning it's damn good for a paper that small in this part of the world (perhaps anywhere).

They blew out the long-time sports editor about three years ago. They've appeared to have "co-sports editors" lately. If Richard, one of the CSE's, isn't leaving, you'll have someone familiar with all the schools and he might be assigned to help you out.

Allen County's (the juco) teams tend to be OK. Not great, not terrible. Iola High School is the big fish in the small-pond Pioneer League. Humboldt is the school in its area that does the best. A borderline Class 2A/3A school with excellent facilities. They've built football, baseball and softball parks, all with FieldTurf, in the last three or four years.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

What they did to the longtime sports editor was pure evil.

Assholes.

6. slm227

slm227 New Member

I'm actually the one that is leaving. It's a great starting out spot. You'll get to design, take photos and write. The only reason I'm leaving is that I got an opportunity to work closer to St. Louis, which is where I'm from. I had been here for a little over a year. Apeman did a pretty good job of describing everything.

7. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

What did they do to Jocelyn? I'm a native Kansan who graduated from KU. She actually covered grade school sports, too, and complained that she had to work all the time. Iola is a country town full of rednecks and is about a backwards as Joplin, Mo., one of the most dysfunctional small cities in the nation.

8. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

slm227: Did you staff grade school basketball and football games?

9. BrianM

BrianM Member

You mean the longtime sports editor who would wear the home team's gear to events, and loudly root for their athletes while the rest of us were trying to work??!

Sports Guy likes this.
  10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Fill us in, Handsome Harley, on what was pure evil to do to a bush-league longtime sports editor who made a mockery of the business. I heard she covered grade school sports and not Allen Community College because those college kids will be gone after two years and don't subscribe to the paper.

BrianM likes this.
  11. slm227

slm227 New Member

Only during the summers, when not much else is going on. American Legion baseball is also big during the summer.

Sports Guy likes this.
  12. slm227

slm227 New Member

Let me clarify that and say recreation league baseball/ softball. Just a few pictures for the paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.