1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Shirley-Macon, May 12, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Damn. Beat me to it. :)

2. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

I was informed that they're strictly looking for someone from traditional media. So, if you fancy yourself creative or given to original thought, look elsewhere.

3. Floyd

Floyd Member

Right... Because traditional journalists are never thoughtful or creative. What a shame they're gonna miss out on you.

4. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

Show me one newspaper article in which a journalist was either thoughtful or creative the last five years. Go ahead, I'll wait.

5. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

What's ironic is that even the way you typed that was boring--and, dare I say--bloggy--with the misuse of the ellipses and starting a sentence with "because." Lazy. #oldmedia

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yet one-word sentences are EDGY! Get over yourself.

7. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

I think you're searching for subtext that isn't there, BDC99. It actually says a lot about how you approach, I dunno, life? Look at the vitriol in that post. All caps and a "Get over yourself." Harsh words. Did I strike a nerve?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No, you're just being an asshole. But, by all means, carry on.

9. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

I'll cop to being an asshole, that's fair. I still stand by my assertion that The Newspaper has not produced a thoughtful, creative sports column in the last five years--maybe more. Newspapers : Wishbone :: Everyone Else : Up Tempo Spread. For chrissakes, stop huddling!

To clarify, though, I don't think it's the fault of The Sportswriter. Most sportswriters are creative, clever men and women who would, I'm sure, love to let their hair down, so to speak.

10. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

You're right, Biff. No traditional journalist was thoughtful or creative enough to completely fabricate a theory that John Calipari was retiring after the Wisconsin loss. Only one that writes for an invisible blog has the chops for that. Please enlighten us more.

BDC99 likes this.
  11. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

1. Cleveland is still playing. If he leaves, it would be to coach Lebron now that the Harrisons and WCS are gone.
    2. I had the balls to say my theory was wrong--a theory which I was careful to say was nothing but my opinion based on context clues, a theory which I explicitly said was based on no inside sources, just my gut which is often right about this stuff (Simmons leaving ESPN, Harbaugh going to Michigan, Jamie Lannister going to Dorne).
    3. No, a traditional journalist would've just a) tried to pass off Deliverance as something from his own personal experience, b) plagiarized something or c) irresponsibly used his pulpit to take yet another potshot at Calipari for personal reasons--the ultimate move in button wienery.
    4. Any luck finding a creative, thoughtful article from a newspaper the last five years? Thanks, though, for the personal attack, demonstrating precisely the type of baseless arrogance which cometh before the fall.
    5. I bet you were gonna make a list to respond to this list, but then read this and decided not to, but then were like, "I'm gonna do it anyway. Biff don't own me. Watch how tough I am."

12. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I've seen two more links to PowerK.net in the last two links I've visited than I have in my previous 27 years living on this earth, and two more than I wanted.

franticscribe and BDC99 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted