1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Key West, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking Experienced Sports Reporter

Date Posted June 05, 2015
    Location Key West, Florida
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable
    Website http://keysnews.com

Description:

South Florida daily newspaper is seeking a talented sports reporter with experience covering youth and high school sports. Reporter must also be able to paginate and knowledge of InDesign is essential. The position is full time with benefits. Qualified individuals must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in journalism, communications or a related field. Candidates must be flexible and able to work any shift, any day of the week, as needed. Please send resume and clips to kharris@keysnews.com.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Now this is a place I could work.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Heck yeah. There are far worse places than Key West.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bring three roommates, though. Housing is crowded and expensive.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The wife loves Key West, so we actually had a brief discussion about applying for this last night before the reality of moving, finding her a job, finding housing, uprooting and leaving family behind for a relatively low-paying job, etc. set in.
    Riptide is correct, too. Two-bedroom homes in Key West start around $400,000. For anything really nice, $1 million is a good working budget. It almost makes San Francisco look affordable.

Was wondering, though, does anyone know how this paper works its beats and how big the sports staff is? They seem to circulate all through the Keys, which is not a small area. It's about 100 miles from Key West to Key Largo, and it's not a short 100 miles either. It might take you three hours to do it if traffic is heavy. So do they do bureaus? Is there a crew for Key West, one for Marathon, and one for Key Largo and the upper Keys? Or is the person in Key West expected to handle it all?

6. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

I talked about this one myself, but I won't be applying. I would love to retire there, however. If they needed somebody to help out and I was planning on retiring I would do it, but not during the heart of my career. Pay wouldn't be enough for the cost of living.

7. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

I applied here yesterday, but was offered a job earlier this year as a page designer. Had to turn it down because my girlfriend's mother was sick. My own mother lived in the Florida Keys when I was younger. I think the way it's set up is that the position based in Key West covers primarily the Lower Keys and maybe the Mid Keys, as there is the Florida Keys Free Press which covers Islamorada and Key Largo that's part of the same group.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight. That's good that you don't have to venture up and down the Keys to do the job. That could be a nightmare to make that trip a couple of times a week.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Surely you'd make enough to buy a boat, right? I can't imagine trying to live down there on a reporter's salary, but man that would be a good gig.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On a reporter's salary? Say hello to the S.S. Batman:

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

She's a beauty

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Looks like all she can handle is just one 3 hour cruise.

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted