1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Go Metric!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 4, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In a bold move, Lincoln Chafee, while announcing his candidacy for President proposes that we join the rest of the world, and go metric:

Here’s a bold embrace of internationalism: let’s join the rest of the world and go metric. I happened to live in Canada as they completed the process. Believe me it is easy. It doesn’t take long before 34 degrees is hot. Only Myanmar, Liberia and the United States aren’t metric and it will help our economy!

Transcript: Read Full Text of Gov. Lincoln Chafee's Campaign Launch

It's a bold vision, and the kind of brave stand we don't usually see from politicians.

The upside is, if we do, I'll finally understand how far JR went, or how fast he was going, when he posts about his travels.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least the Toronto Blue Jays' outfield fence dimensions will finally make sense.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did he announce his candidacy for the 1976 presidential race?

4. YankeeFan

The first time you go to Canada, one of your first thoughts is, "wow, gas is cheap here."

Then you realize it's priced in liters, not gallons. After figuring out what the fuck a liter is (thank you American Standard), you realize gas is expensive as hell.

5. YankeeFan

When asked about it, Chafee mentioned that every little bit helped when seeking the presidency. "Politics is a game of millimeters."

Iron_chet likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It is thoroughly idiotic that we stick to a system of measurements nobody else uses.

7. YankeeFan

Why do you hate America?

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to try a Royale With Cheese.

expendable and poindexter like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1- and 2-liter sodas have been standard retail fare for a couple of generations. Metric has always made perfect sense and really isn't such a big adjustment (a liter is about a quart, a yard is almost a meter, 2 pounds is almost one kilogram).

I just never understood how temperature got mixed in as a metric scale. There are no prefixes and powers of 10 in Celsius. But for anyone heading to Siberia next January . . . -40F = -40C.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ms. Ragu always throws stuff at me in celcius or kilometers. ... and my response always is, "What does that mean in English?" This has the potential to save us a lot of money in couples counseling.

11. YankeeFan

Yeah, but it goes from freezing to boiling in 100 degrees. It does make some sense.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Batman, FileNotFound, Webster and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted