1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Daytona Beach, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Date Posted: June 01, 2015
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description:

The Daytona Beach News-Journal seeks a sports editor who has great ideas and the talent to make them reality. Daytona Beach is home to Daytona International Speedway and the Daytona 500, and our next sports editor must have the creative and planning skills to coordinate world-class auto racing coverage both digitally and in print. But there’s more to sports here than racing. Our sports staff covers more than a dozen high schools, and athletes here often make it to major Division I college programs. Four colleges and universities call our area home. We’ve got a minor league baseball team. And we’re blessed with outdoor sports tied to the Atlantic Ocean. (Yes, we’re on the beach.) In short, this is a job for a talented sports editor who is seeking a great place to work. Please send a letter of interest, resume, and work samples to: Attn: Human Resources, The Daytona Beach News-Journal, P.O. Box 2831, Daytona Beach, FL, 32120-2831, or email HR@news-jrnl.com. No phone calls, please. EOE.

2. FinsFan

FinsFan New Member

Worked in the news department there for almost 4 years when it was still family owned. It's gone through a lot since and a lot of good friends are no longer working there. Now it's a Gatehouse newspaper and I wonder if the SE was one of the first to walk away...

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Burke Noel was the SE and he took the job in Harrisburg with Penn Live.

4. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Burke is a good guy. I worked with him briefly years ago in Fayetteville, N.C.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Always love it when the ad, whether for a metro daily or a small town weekly, goes with "Salary: Negotiable" in the copy.

6. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Sorry to see Burke go. We have some good guys on staff. Happy to answer any questions.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Gatehouse. Guess that means "stay away", no?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Daytona Beach doesn't seem to be a bad place to be, but you'd better love some motor sports.

9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

That goes without saying BDC. Lol

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I like NASCAR and other racing just fine and watch fairly regularly, but I couldn't handle it on that level.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

There's a lot more than that though.

Good prep sports. Mainland is prep football power in the state that takes deep playoff runs. They've had some good basketball programs over the years as well.

Bethune-Cookman has a good football program right now and a baseball program that has made the regionals a few times. Stetson has an FCS program as well right down the road in Deltona and D1 hoops.

NAIA national football title game is there. There have been rumors of a bowl game coming if the city and developers can figure out how to expand and remodel the outdated Municipal Stadium.

They used to have a Magic reporter and someone that covered games at UF or FSU. And they used to have a Jaguars reporter too since it's a little more than an hour away.

Of course Gatehouse might have stripped it to bare bones, so who knows.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, forgot about B-CU and Stetson. I know there's plenty going on, but the autos would overwhelm me, even though I enjoy it casually.

Draft saved Draft deleted