1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are Fox Sports, We are laying off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wheels89, May 31, 2015.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

2. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

A good buddy of mine, who left a solid newspaper job in 2011 when a Fox Sports regional site came calling, told me he found out at 3 p.m. on Friday. He and his wife just welcomed their second child. Preaching to the choir on this message board, but our industry truly sucks at times.

As to Fox Sports, their regional sites in the past year or so got away from sports writing from what I saw. They seemed more concerned with click bait, puff-like pieces.

SirTypeAlot likes this.
  4. Not surprising. They seem to sweep away their entire coterie every four or five years. Former colleagues of mine were in charge of the main Fox Sports site; they all jumped to a major North American sports league once the hammer came down.

5. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

They sure did and got rid of some really good people in the past couple of years to move in the more chicky and snarky direction. Looks like that was a bad decision. Hate to see people losing their jobs. Like someone said, this industry sure sucks sometimes.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Was mentioned on a separate thread, but among those laid off was Tom Gage, who was a big splash hire by Fox Sports Detroit just two months ago after the Detroit News pulled him off the beat after 30 years.

Sources: FSD cutting all writers, including Tom Gage

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jason Beck has to pull a few strings to get Tom in on MLB.com, even if it's just a few pieces here and there. Tom is too valuable to simply fade away.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Any word on the editors at each site?

9. 1stmm

1stmm New Member

10. Just like every other journo job.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not a bad salary for part time, but 70? Come on, people. Hire some full-timers...

Draft saved Draft deleted