1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The problem comes in when those complaints are made publicly, as they have been in this case.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree. When the media complains about anything to the public, the reaction from that public is usually "shut up and write, sports monkey." It is just strange to me the number of fellow media members who are telling those that voice displeasure about it to "shut up and write, sports monkey," even when those complaints aren't made in public, like on this thread.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

22 pages on this Outrageous Media Crisis. Jesus.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Personally I am not saying "shut up and write, sports monkey."

I am saying these have been great moments that actually make the story better, and it's a poor reporter who can't recognize that.

Dyno and cranberry like this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Personally, I've found it to be a pretty interesting discussion that is a little more nuanced than it appears on the surface. The discussion of "should she be there?" touches on other relevant topics, like the usefulness of press conferences, professionalism between athletes and reporters, the relationship between media and fans.

Golazo21 likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My overall point was these post-game press conferences are about 1/1,000,000th as important as the media think they are. Perhaps they've outlived their journalistic usefulness, if they were ever really useful to begin with.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. LongTimeListener

The woman has to stop being so goddamn hawt then. She's a grandma, for Christ's sake.

Big Circus likes this.
  9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you're on a tight deadline at a press conference, and something out of the ordinary happens, odds are most will consider it annoying. Whether it be a star player's 2-year-old, wi-fi going out, having to wait for a player, mics not working, etc. Grumbling about it in a column doesn't make much sense to me because John Q. Public doesn't care about how those annoyances impacted the media. In theory, journalists should be able to grumble about it without having a wolf mentality formed against them on a journalism forum, but that's just a theory.
    I also really don't understand the point being made repeatedly about press conferences not being the best place for shocking, stop-the-presses news. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone was making the argument the Curry press conference was going to feature the most in-depth, hardest-hitting questions in journalism history and Curry was going to deliver the most shocking answers ever, but that wasn't allowed to happen solely because his 2-year-old was present. Press conferences usually feature lame questions and lame cliche answers. I think most people on a sports journalism forum understand that. I'm pretty sure the argument Alma (and others) made was yes we know we're going to get lame quotes at yet another lame press conference, but we just need a few lame quotes to help bang out a quick story with as little annoyance/distraction/delay as possible.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

The lame quotes were all there, though. He answered all the questions.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted