1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think the main difference is kids are an expected and common part of that salesperson's job. They are not, at least historically, expected to be a part of a press conference.

To stretch that analogy further, some on this thread would say that salesperson's job isn't important because they are only grills so he shouldn't complain.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd say it's more like that one part of a salesperson's job is meaningless because he's selling grills in an area where everyone already owns one.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

A reporter's cell phone going off is more disruptive than this kid's presence.

4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

If the reporters are the only reason for the press conferences, why aren't they just done in the locker room instead of in a special room in front of national TV cameras?

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well said. I'm with Ty in being annoyed with it, but as cran(?) said, the public is falling in love with the kid, so it's not going away. I hope it was just a case of it being the clinching game and it's not an every game thing. And I agree with those who don't think it hindered the writers' job so much that it's worth complaining publicly.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

For the personal privacy and convenience of the players and reporters. It's an accommodation for them so they don't have to stand at their locker room, reporters 27 deep, night after night after night.

Most functional beings understand the pressers feature more broad, general questions because of the time crunch and need. It's not like press conferences in other fields are leaps and bounds more profound from a question perspective. But the prosecutor/state legislator/business leader knows better than to have their 2-year-old crawling all over the place. It makes them look small-time and unprofessional.

If the "only time" an athlete or coach sees his children is during a press conference, I'd encourage them to work on their parenting skills on their own personal time.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Athletic press conferences in comparison to prosecutors, state legislators and business leaders? Seems comparable.

I would say a better comparison would be to a movie premier or entertaintment press conference, but hey, Curry and the Govenor should be considered on the same level of importance.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is bullshit.

Nobody cared about anybody's personal privacy being violated -- by many more reporters -- for decades upon decades until ESPN's wall-to-wall programming and the rise of regional sports networks created a need for more content.

They're TV events now. And still there are reporters at the locker of every player who isn't invited to the podium, and those reporters are committing those same violations of privacy and convenience that you seem to think everyone is trying to avoid.

cranberry likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, it wouldn't be convenient for every player to attend them for every reporter.

Because of the media demand for stars, they go up front. It's easier for all involved; fans want to hear from these star players above all.

Again, this is all so self-evident and obvious that a 12-year-old could figure it out. But we need to trot out deep examinations of the process because we can't admit that it's just some player dragging his kid to a press conference and the kid probably shouldn't be there. Now that it's no longer a one-time thing - and probably not a two-time thing, either - I guess we'll take the long way home.

Let me say this: I don't bray at the moon that often when it comes to journalism. You won't find me all over the "Dear Dimwit" thread - even I laugh hard at some of it - because I've long felt we work for those dimwits. They're our customers. They're the ones who can drag their 2-year-olds into the office screaming and ask me a question, and I wouldn't think twice about it.

I don't work for the athlete or coach. He doesn't work for me. So what you'd hope is that the relationship can be cordial and professional. I don't particularly care about rich athletes kids, who have enough life hassles than me caring about them. At least I don't care about them more than the team janitor's kids.

And to the extent that fans want to know about that stuff, well, that's where the other part of being a journalist should kick in. You're not there to do cheap, to do lame, to pander to kittens and Kardashians. You're there to do your level best to tell a story about a game in the best, and often briefest, manner possible. And do it on deadline.

I think there's a little nobility in that, just doing the job - being a reporter and a writer - good enough that somebody gets it. Many others don't. Which is fine too.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Still not seeing any feeling from anyone in the room that there was a lack of cordiality or professionalism.

But I can see how committed you are to the idea that Riley Curry has been a stain on these playoffs.

You should check that against the customers you speak of so glowingly. See how many of them share your belief on that.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If nothing else, Jimmy Kimmel's spoof of this will be well worth waiting a week for.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

FWIW, when I working in the business, it wasn't unususal to find players' kids in the locker rooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted