1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer movie thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, May 28, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know we have a general movie thread, and a Mad Max thread, but I figure this time of year, we need one of these too... :D

I've seen:

Avengers (Not bad)
    Ex Machina (sucked)

I know there are a couple people here who go to screeners and I always love knowing a couple weeks ahead of time if someone thinks a movie is great, or sucks.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I saw Avengers this past weekend and understood very little about what was happening other than Hulk getting all introspective about his anger management issues. My eight-year-old nephew loved it, though.

Most interesting preview for me was "Southpaw."

3. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I'm usually pretty lukewarm on most superhero movies. The Dark Knight Trilogy was the notable exception.

I like going because these movies are fun to see on the big screen, but most of them are just slightly better than mediocre.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pitch Perfect 2, meh. LOVED the first, the second was just OK. Wait for it on cable

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just saw that Jaws is being released in 500 theaters this summer in honor of the 40th anniversary. Can't find a list of theaters, but I hope it plays near me. I'd love to see it on the big screen.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jaws was the scariest movie I had ever seen the first two times I saw it in the theater.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My parents saw it in the theater. It was a sneak preview and they had no idea what it was about. I can only imagine what that opening scene must be like going in with no clue what was coming.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I saw it — at 8 years old — on one of those free HBO weekends. (I was supposed to be in bed, but snuck downstairs and watched it after everybody else was asleep.) Big mistake.

Barely slept for a week, occasional nightmares for months.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Saw Tomorrowland last night. Was one I'd been waiting for because of the Disney kid in me. :)

Not bad. Story kinda petered out at the end, but Britt Robertson did a good job and George Clooney was his usual self. Not the greatest Disney film, but certainly not a dud either.

10. RecoveringJournalist

The commercials for Dope look pretty good.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think I've told this story before ... last time I saw it, I was in a hostel in Kuala Lumpur. It was on two pirated disks and I'd just put in the second one when some German college-age guys came in. They sat down on this L-shaped sofa with me where I could see them out of the corner of my eye. Got to the scene where Jaws appears and all 4-5 of them jumped sky high.

I keep lobbying to use it in my movie outreach here. I think it's a great example of Americana.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. RecoveringJournalist

I just showed it to my 9-year-old last weekend. He really liked it. He had been asking me to see it for awhile.

His eyes got real wide when Chief Brody was tossing the chum off the boat and get his first good look at the shark. The expression on Brody's face is an all-timer.

Draft saved Draft deleted