1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Doc, you take that outlook about your profession long enough, and people are bound to agree.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Here's what the media was able to pull off last night in a childless environment, with a player with much more drama surrounding him (tl;dr: Sad players are sad, but will not curl into fetal position and give up on life):

Q. Dwight, just some overall thoughts on this one and kind of not being able to get it going early. I know you guys tried to get the comeback late but your overall thoughts on the game and how it turned out.
    DWIGHT HOWARD: It was a tough one. A tough battle. They closed it out in the end.

Q. What was the mood in the locker room? Did you guys try to talk to each other? What was the situation like there?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: I mean, we were disappointed. But we've got to get ready for next season.

Q. How do you sum up the season, the regular season and the postseason, in words?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: Well, you know, we should be proud of ourselves. We didn't complete the season with the goal we had in mind, but we got close to it after all the things we've been through. You know, we did what we could for our city and our team, and we got as far as nobody expected us to. They had written us off from the beginning of the season until now.
    We've got to hold our heads high and come back stronger next season.

Q. I know we can't predict the future, but how much would you like to see this group stay together in light of what you guys were able to do together?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: Well, you know, we just want to win, and you know, I'm all about guys who want to get in there and fight and never give up.

Q. Along those lines, the theme across the locker room, the players all talked about wanting to try to keep the group together. How important is that and what does that mean as one of the key guys on this corps?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: You know, like I said, I'm pretty sure everybody wants guys who are just going to fight and never give up and believe, no matter how hard it gets, no matter what happens on the floor, stick together and fight.

Q. In light of what you went through this year with the injury and coming back and then having another injury in the Playoffs, how tough is it for you having to kind of overcome those things and then get to this point and have to stop?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: You know, it's tough, but I won't stop fighting. I want to continue to push myself to the limit and remember that no matter how the season ends, I'm still a champion. I won't let anybody tell me anything different.

Q. Is this one of your tougher years from a physical standpoint just because of all the stuff you had to come back from?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: I mean, every season is tough. It's tough to get to this moment. It's tough to get to the Playoffs. But you've got to fight through to the end, no matter how hard it gets. I've been through a lot of turmoil this season with injuries and all that stuff, but despite that, I'm going to give my team and my city everything I've got.

Q. When you look at it, series over after five games, were the Warriors just clearly a better team or did you guys just not play your best basketball in this series?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: They just played better. Plain and simple. It wasn't our time. But we gave it everything we got. We fought until the end, and I think we built a lot of character through all these trials that we had this season. It just made us better. I think our city is very proud of the fight that we gave every single night, no matter how tough it was.

Q. James came over and kind of gave you a hit on the head in the locker room, kind of like consoling you during this tough loss. Could you speak to that a little bit and the camaraderie of you and your teammates?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: I mean, we care. We care about winning. You know, when we have a disappointing loss, you know, you try the best to console your teammates.

Q. Could you share with us what Kevin had to say to you guys in the locker room afterwards?
    DWIGHT HOWARD: To be honest with you, I was zoned out, boss. I was zoned out. I mean, all I heard was great job this season.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The press conference wasn't his high moment.

4. jr/shotglass

Jesus, MC, we get it. You think press conference questions are dumb. You're right. There.

I think they need you there to lift the intellectual level.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

None of us are that important. You better enjoy this ride while it's rolling. Nothing more stupid than to piss and moan over a guy doing an interview with his kid by his side. Do your damn job, no matter what the circumstances and no matter what distractions exist. That's what is important. Be a professional. Quit bitching like a scorned school girl that just got dumped for the hot cheerleader.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    SnarkShark likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

You stated that much better when playing defense. :)

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Agreed. So the "let the guy celebrate with his daughter" stuff is kind of irrelevant to the discussion.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Look, I haven't followed this discussion at all, so this point might have already been hashed and rehashed to death, but the biggest issue with the kid-in-the-press-conference deal is not the "insight" or how good the quotes are but the deadline/time factor. If you have 10 minutes to grab one or two usable quotes to slam into a story for first edition and you get five or six minutes with Steph Curry and three of them are taken up by a rambunctious little kid acting silly, however cute it may be, you're probably going to be ticked off about it. And you have a right to be. Same if you have a specific question you need to ask to get a comment for a sidebar and you can't get it in because half of Curry's PC time was taken up by the child.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There was never a point in either press conference that the kid "took up" three minutes. Maybe 15 seconds. But he dutifully answered questions all the way through.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

c
    That some media members think any "usable" content comes from these meaningless dog-and-pony shows is a big part of the problem.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Half of Curry's PC time was taken up by the child? Really?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Memo to whining reporters: Fans are falling in love with Riley Curry and somehow they don't really give a fuck about the insightful quote you no doubt would have wringed out of Stephen Curry if he hadn't been so darn distracted, so shut up and report.

Draft saved Draft deleted