1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The people who complained in the first place brought it on themselves. They were saying "We're trying to do our job," implying that job is so important that it deserves a child-free environment.

Fine. You imply that, I'll go and look at the job you're doing in that environment. I've read most of the transcripts, and I read nothing that added any value or insight to anything.

It's like an office employee complaining that the phone rings too much. Upon further observation, you find the employee is only complaining because it's interrupting his mid-day nap.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was 8:30 at night, maybe 9:00.

Do you know anything about children?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Alma, you should also write a story on parenting and the dangers of keeping kids up to late.

It would be far more important than covering the fluff that are those press conferences.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Alma, why do you consider it "celebrity nonsense" for a player to want to enjoy/share his high moments with his daughter?

Dyno likes this.
  5. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

Was Curry available to speak to reporters in the locker room after his press conference?

A lot of bad answers come out of press conferences because they're unnatural. They're not a conversation. They're not introspective.

If he spoke afterward, and people got a chance to ask their questions there, it's a bit easier to not care about those manufactured six minutes.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Isn't covering sports in itself celebrity nonsense?

FileNotFound and SnarkShark like this.
  7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You can't call a press conference pointless and boring and then consider it an athlete's "high moment."

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Does the high stop after the final whistle?

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Get over yourself Alma. You're not that important. No, you're not.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I've flipped a bit on this too. The second time was a bit much. One time is spontaneous, two times is contrived.

I haven't flipped on the media bitching, though. If you think it's unprofessional to bring a toddler to the presser, also recognize it's unprofessional to bitch about it in public.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Showering, tipping the locker room attendant and icing down your knees don't qualify as high moments, either, yet they often coincide with them.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit of retaliation -- tacit and classy retaliation -- for all the B.S. of the last week. A worthy time for it too.

Plus you have to figure he appreciated the "shield" effect since there was so much drama to shield himself from last night. Just think of the brutal questions he would have faced if not for his daughter's presence.

Draft saved Draft deleted