1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yogi Berra - The Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WCIBN, May 22, 2015.

?

Should Yogi Berra be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2015.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

:: pardon me as I start a Dick Whitman-like thread with an accompanying poll ::

There is a petition online asking the White House to award Yogi Berra the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his military service and civil rights and educational activism. President Obama did honor Ernie Banks with the Medal of Freedom in 2013. Other baseball players who received this honor include: Hank Aaron (2002), Roberto Clemente (2003), Joe DiMaggio (1977), Stan Musial (2011), Buck O'Neil (2006), Frank Robinson (2005), Jackie Robinson (1984) and Ted Williams (1991).

Is this a good idea?

link to petition: Award Yogi Berra The Presidential Medal of Freedom for his military service and civil rights and educational activism. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, he deserves it for his soundbites alone.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bill Cosby has one, so it's not like Berra getting one would cheapen the honor.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why would he need a medal? Doesn't he already have freedom?

(My weak attempt at a Yogiism)

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As great as Yogi is/was - was he ever the first/last/best/greatest in any category on the field. Granted, I can think of a lot worse choices who have been honored with it:
    cough - Robert McNamara, George Tenet, assorted politicians - cough

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yogi's probably the greatest "winner" in baseball history, for whatever that's worth. And he won three AL MVPs in five years.

But this is as much about "cultural impact" as anything.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Among other things. ... He is first in world series appearances and world series championships. He also had a ridiculous streak in the 1950s, in which he was in the top four in the MVP voting for 7 or 8 years in a row, including winning the award 3 times. It's hard to say that he wasn't one of the greatest ever on the field.

RecoveringJournalist and Riptide like this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd vote yes just for the speech where he thanks everyone who made this day necessary.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If people don't want to give Berra this award, nobody can stop them. After all, nobody gets this award anymore ...they give it out too frequently. Besides, who gets this award is 90 percent political. The other half is social.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well played, dq.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Well, there aren't really soundbites. Mostly it's stuff that people say he said. If you've met Yogi, you probably know it might be an awfully long wait for him to say anything funny, either intentional or accidental.

If you really like the quotes, give the award to Joe Garagiola.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Aw, just watch me do it!"

Draft saved Draft deleted