1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice: Don't go there

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, May 21, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A lot of us are well-traveled and have a lot of good advice on places to visit.

So what are the places to avoid? I am talking good-sized cities that just aren't worth the time.

For example, I like the South and have been all over, but I don't see any real reason to stop in Birmingham, Ala.

Think I may add Waco, Texas, to the list now, too.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A couple friends of mine got mugged in Cancun about 10 years ago. Muggers couldn't get one friend's wallet out of his pocket. So they took his pants. They took. His pants.

If you go there, stay at an all-inclusive and don't venture into town at night.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an entire thread a while ago about good places to get your ass kicked?

slappy4428 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Also, Cancun is probably totally fine. But that's really the only bad travel story I have, so, uh, yeah.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Cancun is great, but as you said, I've only ever stayed at the all inclusives. We're going back in a few weeks, actually. Always the same spot. We feel 100% safe there.

I'd steer clear of Camden, NJ, though. And the entire state of Pennsylvania.

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Underrated: Pittsburgh.
    Overrated: Vancouver.
    No real reason to go there: Cincinnati.

Also on my "Why would you even?" list: Houston, Winnipeg, Atlanta.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The pizza joints in NYC aren't much to speak of.

Also: Kingston, Jamaica. Stick with the other side of the island.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I worked in Kingston for 6 months. What a trip.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

When I lived in Houston I described it as a great place to live and a shitty place to visit. I loved the cost of living, the food (oh, god, the food!) and the drink. But there aren't really any tourist attractions. You don't vacation in a place just b/c the burritos and brisket kick ass.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wife and I went to Cabo for our honeymoon. Didn't get what all the fuss was about. The climate is like Arizona and the air conditioning sucks. We won't be going back.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Likely getting your ass kicked isn't necessarily a reason to skip a city. Conversely, a place may be perfectly safe and perfectly boring.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Completely agree, having both lived and visited there.

Draft saved Draft deleted