1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lookout - the Rocky spinoffs are coming ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, May 18, 2015.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm eagerly awaiting "Raising Kane" on how Union Kane struggles to continue to fight after being order to lay down against Tommy Gunn.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When does the ghost of Pauly enter stage right?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That "Drago" movie sounds an awful lot like the plot of the modern-day classic Kickboxer 4.

If you're gonna rip something off, be sure to aim for the cream of the crop...

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually they could have cooked up a kinda interesting movie about Rocky's vanquished arch-nemeses in about 2000, while Stallone was taking a 15-year break from the character.

Clubber Lang would have followed George Foreman's career path and become a preacher then probably made a boxing comeback in the mid-90s.

Drago would have been disgraced in the USSR after the loss and probably defected just before or after the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Off his steroids regimen Drago would have shrunk way down and bounced around through various burned-out celebrity roles.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That might have hit a little too close to home for Dolph Lundgren, don't you think?

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"Creed" sounds like it could be good. It could also be horrible, but hey. Of the six movies, the fifth movie was the only one I didn't find at least entertaining. (And even that one is "so bad it's funny" in some parts.)

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But which one would have had a popular consumer product - like a grill -bear his name?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love 'Rocky.'
    And 'Rocky 3' is so bad it's funny.

The rest of them have not been good.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Man, I still love 'Rocky 3,' and the first three made for a decent trilogy, albeit in descending order of quality.

The quality continued to slide in Rocky IV (although I still enjoy it) and took a steep drop in V (never have seen that all the way through).

I thought 'Rocky Balboa' was surprisingly very good.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I thought the Russian training sequences in IV were a pretty interesting way to switch up the formula. Rocky's "we can change" speech at the end was corny, but seemed prescient a few years later when the Iron Curtain really did fall.

V slid off the end of the earth. Dreck.

"Balboa" was a stunningly non-awful rebound. I had expected to click it off after a half-hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted