1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

These are some great analogies.

Curry should just refuse to come out and say he is spending time with his daughter and leave it at that.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed. When the reporter's 2-year-old crawls on the court, coaches, players and arena security need to chill on that.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Poor media. Their process been done fucked with.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Stop comparing your jobs to the players jobs, you're not in the same universe.

KYSportsWriter and FileNotFound like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yupper. None of us is worth the signashure on are paycheck.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bingo. Celebrity. They can do as the please, the rest of us better watch our ass and sure as shit not expect anything other than self-imposed gratitude for being allowed to co-exist in that celebrity glow.

Again: It's a middling matter as an isolated thing. It gets at something bigger, but it's nothing by itself.

Bayless, who's a celebrity himself, has the freedom to carp about it. Anyone else who does gets the "you're not in the same universe" line.

Is Bayless wrong? No. Not particularly. I don't like one bit of Bayless's schtick. But he's not wrong here.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Tweener likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I saw some of this elsewhere earlier and I thought it was just one or two people in the universe who felt this way. Now I see there are at least a few people on this board who agree.

Step back and see the forest for the trees, guys. Last night was awesome.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But they couldn't do their jobs properly. The fans care about them getting that extra hard hitting quote.

Curry should come out and pull a Lynch, better yet, not talk at all and spend the time with his daughter.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

JC, the media gets bashed on this because ... this is what people do with the media. But again, if you trot that same 2-year-old out in the middle of a business meeting, it's inappropriate to the majority. Well, this is a business meeting here. Regardless of how meaningless you deem the quotes to be, they are part of the writer's job. They're not there to coo. They're there to get their job done.

spikechiquet, SFIND and Alma like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What is the forest here? Like, what was the point of that if the point wasn't for the best player in the NBA to talk about Game One of the Western Conference Finals.

What larger thing was at play there?

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Is it unprofessional? Sure, that argument can be made. You know what else is unprofessional? Bitching about it in public.

I fail to understand why sports reporters continue to complain about things like this. The public isn't going to empathize. All they're going to do is think you're an asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted