1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. Presented without comment ...

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Looks like one media member.

Dusty Baker used to do this after tough losses with the Cubs, use his cute kid as a human shield.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sure. Take the NBA player who is one of the most popular in the league, is always cooperative, doesn't have a bad background... and run him through the mud. Way to go, Skip.

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm just glad we got Freddie Prinze Jr.'s take. (Fully acknowledging that he gave it unsolicited.) Perhaps someone can reach Andrew Keegan at his cult compound to find out his opinion.

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds did this. I remember Ken Griffey Jr. doing this at an all-star game.

And people wonder why everyone hates the media.

6. RecoveringJournalist

FPJ should be relieved his dad never did this with him. Gunplay on the set of Chico and the Man.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Did Curry bring the kid up there to shield against any questions?

Sometimes I think the players bring the kid up there as a shield. Other times, I think they're handed their kid after a game and they take the kid with them wherever they go.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a middling matter.

But if you're going to seriously write that reporters shouldn't be annoyed by a 2-year-old kid mugging and telling her dad to be quiet, you're either being a fan (who doesn't know better) a pollyanna or dumping on the media as a matter of being falsely fashionable.

It's a celebrity doing celebrity things, and it's celebrated because he's a celebrity. Period.

Tweener, jr/shotglass and SFIND like this.
  9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So ... you get video of a cute kid that probably draws millions of hits, instead of anodyne quotes about taking it one game at a time and how it's a team game, and this is somehow the end of the world as we know it?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What hard-hitting question is someone not going to ask because Seth has his kid?

11. RecoveringJournalist

I disagree. For every member of the media who hates it, there's another who thinks it's the cutest thing in the world, or hates it so much that they use it in their lede. Windhorst may hate it, but SportsCenter sure as hell didn't.

The year Griffey Jr. brought his kid to the all-star press conference, it was in the first or second line of every story written about it.

I'm quite sure I complained about some ridiculous shit during my career, but coaches and players bringing kids into a presser definitely was not one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted