1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dean Potter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 17, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fresh off the wake of all those "The Thrill is Gone" headlines,
    here come all those "They died doing what they loved" eulogies.

RIP to the wing-suiters. Looks like fun, but it takes a lot of guts, too.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

BASE jumping, which is essentially parachuting from a fixed structure or cliff, is illegal in the national parks, and Yosemite officials have tried to curtail the practice. But Potter fought and flouted the rules for many years.

Rules are stupid, I guess.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Shit-for-brains attention whore who should have been charged with animal cruelty. I'll never get my tax dollars back for would-be rescuers who had to put their own safety at risk to scrape up this retard's remains after his ILLEGAL jump. Fuck that guy, I wish instead he'd jumped into a biker shootout in Waco.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Why bother with the expense of body recovery? They liked the outdoors so much, let them be part of the food chain and get shit by a bear.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No kidding.

The glowing tributes about this guy make me want to puke. BASE jumping is illegal, especially in national parks. I'm sure the same people lighting candles in his honor today would be lighting torches in protest if I rolled into Yosemite with a oil drilling rig.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some of those people actually knew the guy and were his friends.

I've followed his climbing career for a long time. Once he got into BASE and then wingsuits, most people assumed he'd die like this. The wingsuit guys have zero margin for error when they start doing close passes like that.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am surprised at the harsh replies to his death. These people only really hurt themselves and I think humanity needs those outliers to push the envelope and see what people are capable of doing. I guess I can't get worked up about the illegality of what he was doing.

9. Vombatus

I'm not trying to be harsh. There's just a whole Darwinian Award thing about it that doesn't lead to much sympathy.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Darwinian? So you'd have been the guy bashing the Wright Brothers for pushing the envelope. These guys aren't popping wheelies on motorcycles on the highway in rush hour traffic; those guys deserve to win thinned from the herd. I have no problem with BASE jumping or wingsuit flying bc they're not hurting anyone. They assume the risk. And your tax payer money? Give me a break. You sound a bitter old fuck with that screed.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Vombatus

Like these wingman suits are going to lead to a whole new form of transportation, provided of course, you climb to the top of a mountain first in order to start your commute. Wright Brothers, BS. These BASE jumping law breaking folks are out for their jollies. Not research. It says something that sponsors were starting to drop them.

Draft saved Draft deleted