1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Longhorn Network: Best thing to ever happen to the SEC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 17, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No school has enough to merit it's own channel. Not Texas, not Alabama, not Florida, not Notre Dame, not Ohio State... Nobody...

The SEC, Pac-12 and Big Ten Networks have enough trouble coming up with decent programming when it's not football or basketball season and they have 12-14 teams to pull from. I love all three of those networks, but I doubt I watch any of them between the NCAA Tournament and the first week of football season.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am happier by the day that the boys at Mizzou saw this carnage far enough ahead of time to do something about it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Faux Fascist Sports commissions a lengthy hit piece on a competitor.

What a shock.

On the other hand, hard to argue much with the substance of the piece.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

TLN DID alter the college landscape, just not in a good way. And while we chide ESPN for losing money on TLN, guess where they get the money to cover their losses? Yeah, the rest of us poor slobs who pay through the nose for ESPN.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I generally take what Clay Travis writes with a grain of salt, but he tends to have a handle on the sports programming landscape.

This is a pretty amazing stat ...

... the Longhorn Network is on pace to do less revenue in 20 years than Mayweather-Pacquiao did in one night of pay-per-view boxing.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why I get the Longhorn Network included with UVerse's U200 (their basic cable equivalent) in Ohio. I can't get Fox SportsTime Ohio and therefore never see the Indians. But I can watch Texas Swimming and Diving whenever I want.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's a throw-in in your area.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Travis made the major error of not considering advertising revenue for the channel.

He only considered subscriber fees in how much money it makes.

I remember a bit about the Big 10 network and how it rolled in election cash as Obama's campaign people loaded up on airtime on it.

I suspect that they also make some ad money but then that would blow up travis's thesis and as he's proven before, he'll ignore anything that might counter his argument.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've watched lacrosse, volleyball, gymnastics and wrestling on the Big10 network. As long as they continue to show actual sports and not talk about, I'm watching

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure, for all the conference's success, how big a deal baseball is in the Pac-12, but it's a huge deal in most of the SEC. Bigger than basketball in some places. The SEC Network has done a pretty good job showing a lot of baseball this spring.

Draft saved Draft deleted