1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Brunswick News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ncdeen, May 16, 2015.

1. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

Hey everyone,

Just informing you of an opening for a sports reporter position at The Brunswick News, a small six-day-a-week daily in the beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia. This is a great job for a young up-and-comer. I am leaving this position for a job at a bigger paper. It was just the right opportunity, and I couldn’t pass it up, but if it hadn’t come along, I would have been perfectly content staying here. In fact, I was just about to start looking for a small house or condo to buy just before I saw the ad for the job I’m taking. Brunswick is a small town, so it doesn’t have a lot of chains. They are developing a big shopping outlet next to the interstate, headlined by a Sam’s Club and a Panera Bread, so that should be along within the next year or two.

But Brunswick is right next to the Atlantic Ocean and offers some fantastic views. You can visit the beaches of St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island anytime. Heck, you can live on those islands if you want to (more expensive though). If you like golf and/or fishing, this is the place for you. There are some great golf courses here at affordable prices.

A little bit about the job: You will be part of a two-man sports staff — you and the sports editor. We do everything from writing stories to laying out pages. I will tell you upfront that I got this job because I was one of only two candidates who had layout experience, or so I was told. We use Adobe InDesign. We also have just one staff photographer, so I’ve been called upon to take photos on more than one occasion.

We cover two public high schools in Class 5A of the Georgia High School Association, and one private school that seems to win more championships than they have sports for. Both public schools have fairly new football coaches who I think are going to do great things and are a blast to work with. Brunswick High won the Class 5A boys basketball title this year. All the coaches here are wonderful.

We also cover a rising NAIA university that won the men’s national championship in golf last year (and could very well do it again this year). There’s no shortage of interesting people here, and I’ve gotten to do a ton of features (probably what I’ll miss most). The real plus here is the golf scene. The area is home to eight PGA Tour pros, including Matt Kuchar, Zach Johnson and Davis Love III. You’ll get to cover an annual PGA Tour event on St. Simons Island. They let me cover The Players in 2014 (about 90 minutes away), but not sure they want to spend the money for that anymore. I didn’t ask to go this year because I’m recovering from a foot injury.

Area is also the native land to St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright and U.S. Women's Soccer National Team member Morgan Brian.

We’re also party central for University of Georgia students during the annual Georgia-Flordia game in nearby Jacksonville. It’s a big ordeal every year. We publish an annual Georgia-Florida section and cover the game each year. So yeah, small-town paper, but lots of cool things to cover.

The pay is pretty good if your looking for your second job or are a strong recent college grad. I will emphasize again: they want someone with good layout skills. Since it is a family-owned paper, the benefits here are excellent.

It’s a fun newsroom to work in, and everyone is pretty good friends with each other.

That about sums it up. If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Email your resume and work samples to managing editor Hank Rowland at hrowland@thebrunswicknews.com.

2. ped0003

ped0003 New Member

Cool. What paper are you moving to?

3. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

I'm going to the Savannah Morning News

4. jsimp

jsimp Member

Do you know if they would be willing to work with someone who doesn't have much layout experience but has worked with Adobe InDesign before?

5. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

If you can adapt quickly, then maybe, but if there's another candidate with stronger layout skills, they're going to go with him or her

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

ballpark the pay

7. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

High 20s

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Don't know much about the paper, but I can vouch for the new Brunswick football coach, Larry Harold. Good people. Made some headlines back in February during the Roquan Smith recruiting saga (he was transitioning from Macon County to Brunswick when it happened).

9. FinsFan

FinsFan New Member

After more than 25 years in this business, this is the kid of position I'd love to go to and just enjoy for the next 20. Maybe I should apply...

10. jsimp

jsimp Member

Any updates on this one?

11. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Congrats on the move up in the world, ncdeen.

12. jsimp

jsimp Member

Anything new on this job?

Draft saved Draft deleted