1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone explain the obsession w/Ronda Rousey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, May 15, 2015.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

She's on this week's SI cover.

The coverline is: "World's Most Dominant athlete" - okay, hyperbole sells, I get it. But she hasn't fought since February, won't fight again till August, and she's not even the most dominant female athlete in the world right now.

Why the obsession? Anyone?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Because she's (relatively) attractive and can whip your ass.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

She's cute.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because all of us would hit it, and she's so dominant. Also engaging and has personality.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Harbaugh was on my cover.

I get the interest in her. Leading up to her last fight, you would hear a lot of people talking about how awful it is that they're glorifying two women fighting. I used to be a pretty big boxing fan, but MMA can be a bit tough to stomach, but as a fan of judo and martial arts, the way she won her last fight was all kinds of awesome.

I don't think she's particularly hot, not that she's bad-looking, but I think she's awesome.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Great issue of SI. Between the Rousey article, the Harbaugh article and the Ewing article, this was one of the best issues in recent memory.

7. RecoveringJournalist

She's a badass and you don't see that much anymore.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

She is Danica Patrick -- a relatively attractive woman in a field that doesn't draw many.

Rousey seems engaging in interviews, and is a badass, but like Ringer, I don't get the obsession.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By those standards, Muhammad Ali never would have warranted hyperbole or the SI cover, I guess.

She may be the one MMA fighter that people who don't follow MMA have heard of, so she has crossover appeal.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because she's willing to do a lot of interviews and she's in Entourage, which is coming to a theater near you, so she's doing even more interviews. That's how it works.

The obsession, for example, with Kardashians is mostly tied to their willingness - well, the matriarch's willingness - to constantly, relentlessly be in the news. The minute you don't want to become content fodder for magazines, you kinda disappear.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Difference between Patrick and Rousey. Rousey actually wins in her sport.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  12. RecoveringJournalist

The SI article said Rousey only made $130K for her last fight. That's not bad if you break it down dollars by seconds of the fight, but seems ridiculously low. I wonder how much more than that she'll be getting for her next fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted