1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education Secretary proposes "public boarding schools"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 14, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"Public Boarding Schools"? Kids that the government has "24/7"?

Sounds like -- orphanages!

People in power are finally coming around to my way of thinking.

Tuesday in Arlington, VA, at the Youth Violence Prevention Summit, Education Secretary Arne Duncan proposed government-run public boarding schools which would be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Duncan said, “One idea that I threw out … is this idea of public boarding schools. That’s a little bit of a different idea, a controversial idea. But the question is—do we have some children where there’s not a mom, there’s not a dad, there’s not a grandma, there’s just nobody at home? There’s just certain kids we should have 24/7 to really create a safe environment and give them a chance to be successful.”

Obama Education Secretary Proposes 'Public Boarding Schools': 'Certain Kids We Should Have 24/7' - Breitbart

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The buried lede...

Education Secretary Backs Public Boarding Schools: 'Certain Kids We Should Have 24/7'

Duncan said that schools should be more than a place for learning at the event.

“I think all of our schools should be community centers,” Duncan said. “Our schools should be open 12, 13, 14 hours a day with a wide variety of after-school programming.

“Thankfully, in the vast, vast majority of communities around the nation, our schools are actually safe havens,” Duncan said. “[There’s] very little violence happening in schools.

This is much more tangible, attainable and would affect many more people.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well that Babe Ruth guy turned out OK.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This would be a godsend (Obamasend?) for a lot of kids if it can be done. I know some communities have experimented with something similar, usually funded by private donations.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If someone has no real interest in raising their children and wants to send them to a boarding school, they should be able to get a voucher to help pay for it. That shouldn't be something only available to the rich.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mitt's going to give free haircuts.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I guess Choate is trying to improve it's basketball team.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's because newspapers gave his team coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted