1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FHRITP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, May 13, 2015.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Firing of Shawn Simoes for off-duty 'FHRITP' video reflects employment trend - Business - CBC News

A reporter confronted a guy who yelled FHRITP after a Toronto FC soccer game. One of the guy's buddies ends up interviewed, comes across as a jack ass and gets canned from his 100K a year job.

I have to admit that the first time I saw the original FHRITP guy I laughed but do see it as offensive. The Justice Minister has said that this may be a form of assault.

I don't think the guy should be fired from his job over it as the internet shaming he is enduring is punishment enough. What does SJ.com say? Should he have lost his job.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Simoes is shown in the video calling his friend's use of FHRITP — a popular trend of heckling female journalists— hilarious before telling the reporter she is lucky they didn't have a vibrator.

Yeah, I'm OK with him getting fired.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It probably needs to be clarified that the group of jackasses did it TO same reporter, who then confronted them.

Its a new world. We've seen it many time (off the top of my head, this woman comes to mind)
    [​IMG]

Apparently the dude was replaceable. Its the new world order. Make a jackass of yourself in public, there can be private repercussions.

If we can fire the "MASHED POTATOES" guy who screams it after tee shots at PGA events, I'd be a happy man.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I still say that unless they're on the job at that time, what people do in their own private time, as long as it's lawful, is not the company's business, barring any agreements in contracts.

If the company wants to claim that employees are representing them at all times, then they can pay overtime for that time.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good. Glad he was fired.

This has happened to me three times since the start of the year when I'm working.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Did Ray Rice or Greg Hardy get convicted?

8. LongTimeListener

You keep going to that well, Baron. I'm sure the world is gonna start listening any day now.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

10. LongTimeListener

I have a difficult time believing this guy wasn't a complete douche at work as well as when out on the town. They were probably wondering how to get rid of him and he gave them the ammo.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He's going to get hired by the Buccaneers.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe he was intentionally being over the top in an attempt to satirize his long history of misogyny.

Draft saved Draft deleted