1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Dad bods'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 13, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I saw this floating around social media in the past few weeks, and thought it would just blow over the way every other attention-seeking college student columnist's work does. But, at this point, I think it qualifies as "viral."

Why Girls Love The Dad Bod | The Odyssey

Point of order: I have a "dad bod" now, after letting myself go considerably in the last few years since I quit smoking. No one ogles me. Except my wife, but that's only because she doesn't have a choice.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not buying that for a second.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

That girl's got a bright future with that sort of knack for making fat slob dads feel better about themselves.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It sounds like the women don't like the dad bod for itself, but for two related reasons:

1. It makes them feel better about their own bodies.
    2. They know that the guy will be willing to go out to eat and drink and have fun, when the mood strikes.
    All things being equal, I think Mackenzie wouldn't go for the dad bod, but she likes what comes with it better.

5. MisterCreosote

I love this part:

"... if he already has the dad bod going on, we can get used to it before we date him, marry him, have three kids. We know what we are getting into when he's got the same exact body type at the age of 22 that he's going to have at 45."

Sorry, but if he's already got a beer gut at 22, it's all downhill from there.

SFIND likes this.
  6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

There's a giant component missing from all of this: What his face looks like. Which, I've been told by women, matters a lot when it comes to looking past a bit of flabbiness.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

This was on Nightline last week. I think there is a little bit of truth to it.

I think there are a lot of women who are put off a bit by guys who are vain and they'd rather have a guy who has a normal build who is confident than a guy who is shredded, but spends more time looking at himself than he does on his girlfriend.

I see it more as that, than it being a pass for being a fat slob.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

FIXED

Brian and doctorquant like this.
  9. MisterCreosote

I don't know. Put Ryan Gosling's face on Seth Rogen's body. Still attractive?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I weigh a lot less now at 43 than I did at 22. My graduation pictures are FAT.

Somehow when you get away from a lifestyle of beer, midnight pizza and binge studying, you have a chance to live somewhat healthier.

11. MisterCreosote

Yeah, but if you were in comparable physical shape at both ages, you'd be fatter now, or you'd be working at least twice as hard to maintain it. I weighed less at 35 than I did at 22, but there's no chance in hell I could sustain that, both physically and in terms of available time to put in.

Your physical potential and, more importantly, recuperative powers are never higher than in your early 20s. The vast majority of people gain weight and flab as they get older.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I don't know how to phrase this...but I kind of have this issue personally. I lost 150 pounds and have the jawline, face, shoulders and arms of a very attractive person. I have the body of a man who lost 150 pounds...excess skin and still somewhat thick around the stomach.. and I'm really short. It was funny when I was dating to see women perk up seeing me sit at a bar...until they'd see the rest of me. It just made me laugh. I'm like the reverse butterface.

I joked with friends that in a Skype-only relationship, I'd be a catch.

Draft saved Draft deleted