1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying an engagement ring, need advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, May 13, 2015.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Long time no speak y'all, but, hey, I've been busy.
    I am in need of advice, and as usual I cannot think of a better group of objective people to come to.
    I am shopping for an engagement ring. Being that this is my first time out the gate in this area, I'm looking for advice and I'm not prepared to just take everything the person who is working towards as big a commission as they can get at their word. And let's be honest, I'm a reporter, so it's not going to be that big of a commission.

My biggest question right now, is it worth getting a bridal set -- the matching engagement ring and wedding band -- or just focus on getting the engagement ring and worry about the wedding band later, let her pick that part out? I'm not taking her shopping for the engagement ring, I want that much to be a surprise, as is her preference (she mentioned without any prompting at all that her dad brought her mom along to pick out an engagement ring and her brother in law brought her sister along, and she hated the idea).
    Are there other things I need to be aware of while I'm looking?
    Any other bits of advice while shopping is much appreciated.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

best advice = don't do it
    second best advice = concentrate on getting a stone, that's the investment. you can get a ring made after you buy the stone

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice, but I would like to offer my congratulations.

There are formulas out there such as two-months salary and all that. As a journalist, maybe you might want to go just a bit over two months. I like Buck's advice to concentrate on the stone. Remember, she's going to wear this ring the rest of her life.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Congrats!

I went to a private jeweler, who also does ring repair. He did really great work. I ended up with a custom-made white gold ring with a quarter-karat stone for at least a few hundred bucks cheaper than a commercial store.

I wouldn't worry about bands right now. That's something you can, and probably should, decide together. The engagement ring is a gift; the wedding bands are your symbols of love for each other, so we thought it only natural that we each had input.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First, congrats! Second. ... well, I'll give a diamond shpiel, since I have dealt with it.

I'm of mixed feeling on them. Diamonds are a racket. When DeBeers did large scale mining in South Africa, they attached the most successful advertising campaign to it and made diamonds into something every engagement ring has to have. They also aren't as rare as people think. DeBeers mined way more rough diamonds than they will ever sell, and they have a huge warehouse in London filled with them.

So as an "investment" diamonds kind of suck. They aren't rare. It's all marketing smoke and mirrors.

That said, diamond rings are traditional and women like 'em. And guys like me, at least, are clueless when shopping for them.

If you do get one, your choice is how "perfect" you want the diamond to be. They grade the things by 4 Cs -- aside from the obvious, how many carats (the size), you have the cut -- and that is to some degree a matter of preference.

Then, the two major things that determine how "good" the diamond is, are the color and clarity.

On color, if you are shopping for a white diamond, any tint or yellowishness is considered a negative. The grades work their way through the alphabet. The closer to Z, the the less desirable it is considered. A D or E diamond would be considered colorless. F nearly colorless. Etc.

On clarity, it's kind of confusing. "IF" means it is flawless -- these will be very expensive and aren't on most people's radar. Most diamonds have inclusions and depending on how visible they are to the naked eye or through a loop, it gets a grade. In order of less flawed to most, it runs something like: VVS1, VVS2, Vs1, VS2, SI1, SI2, I1, I2, I3. (Very, very slightly included, Very slightly included, Slightly included, Included, etc.) The prices will work their way down as you go through that chart.

The differences within those grades are very subtle. I have been there looking through a loop and they all look the same to me, so the best advice I can give is to only do business with someone you have a good feeling about -- who you feel you can trust. Because if you are like most men, you'll end up accepting whatever grade they tell you it is.

Also, while the clarity will affect the value of the diamond, you are not buying this thing as an investment, so don't go too crazy overthinking it -- try to stay within your budget and get something as nice as you can that you can afford. The only reason I am pointing out how they grade the things is that I believe you should know what it is you are buying. At the end of the day, though, she's gonna love whatever ring you choose.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hopefully by now she's at least mentioned what kind of cut she wants. Just find one of those that fits into your budget and you're golden. This is way easier than it's made out to be, even if you're flying blind.

Congrats and good luck!

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Beef,
    Has she given you an idea of the type of rings she likes, even if you're not taking her? The type of cut? The type of gold?

Congrats!

(Edit: Looks like Reacher basically said the same thing. But that's the basic starting point. Find out what types she likes. Then go buy what you can afford in that type).

JackReacher likes this.
  9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

10. Congrats.
    As someone noted ... find out what type of "cut" she prefers. My wife was a fan of princess cuts. Gold gold? White gold? Platinum?
    I got my wife a "wrap" to go with her ring.

I also found its cheaper to buy in NYC than where I live. Maybe its competition, maybe its stolen? But jewelry there runs about half the price for I would pay around here.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maybe you bought from a guy wearing a long trench coat on the street?

Draft saved Draft deleted