1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Enterprise reporter, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MonsterLobster, May 11, 2015.

1. Quick note: This position is replacing one that was a hybrid columnist/enterprise reporter position. This is different, as there will not be columnist duties.

You'll need to apply online at the link below. You can still send me an email to follow up, but please include ENTERPRISE REPORTER in the subject line so I can easily sort through and find you.

The Courier-Journal is seeking a Sports Enterprise reporter who will be tasked with balancing a load of short-and long-term enterprise work - including investigative reporting, in-depth features and profiles and public records-driven reporting. Short-range assignments might include offering some more in-depth insight into trends and buzz-worthy storylines other beat writers are covering. Long-range assignments will focus on reporting with a depth and energy that our competition cannot offer, truly one-of-a-kind stories.

Duties:

Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.

Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social-media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.

Works with Content Strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.

Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed. Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand. Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.

Skills and Knowledge:

Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism

Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills

Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing and editing)

Self-motivation and self-direction

Advanced knowledge of social-media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.

Photo and video skills

Effective communication and time management skills; works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment

Qualifications:

Bachelor's in Communication, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education. Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base. Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms. Knowledge and understanding of metrics, Videography, Microsoft Office Suite, Interpersonal skills and Creativity.

We offer:

Competitive salaries, health care, dental and vision coverage; flexible spending account, HSA, 401k and stock; paid vacation time and sick leave. Pre-employment drug testing and a background screening are required. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace including veterans and applicants with disabilities.

Career Opportunities: Reporter - Sports Enterprise (53704)

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Say a person finds all three of these openings intriguing and doesn't really mind which one they'd get. Is there a pain-free way of applying for all at once, or do you have to submit three separate applications through the system?

3. You'll have to submit it three times, unfortunately, though be clear about your interest in all in your cover letter. You don't need to write three of them.

4. L.Davis5

L.Davis5 New Member

What are the salary ranges for the general assignments and Kentucky football positions and what is your e-mail address?

5. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

I applied for all three via Gannett's site. My cover letter is pretty much the same, though I made sure to state in each application that I was applying for that specific position.

6. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

I'd be curious to know the salary range for the Kentucky and enterprise jobs as well. Thanks in advance.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Being able to find the email address for the sports editor of a major American newspaper is part of the weed-out process.

BurnsWhenIPee and LesJ9488 like this.
  8. L.Davis5

L.Davis5 New Member

Thanks for your keen insight.

9. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

PM me if you have any non-hiring-process questions. Happy to help.

10. Potter

Potter Member

I'll just leave this here. Screen shot 2015-05-14 at 6.49.06 PM.png

11. Is one of the dropdown options not something like "I choose not to answer"?

12. Potter

Potter Member

Indeed it is, something along the lines of choosing to not self-identify. I just got a kick out of the seeming contradiction.

Draft saved Draft deleted