1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The State of the State

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 11, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told the recent buyouts affected six staffers, including Spurrier's buddy Ron Morris. They now have an SE, two writers and a designer.

Say what?

That used to be a section full of talent. Kent Babb, Jon Solomon, David Newton, Joe Person, Evan Woodbery, Seth Emerson, Patrick Obley, Morris and others.

Man. This business.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They offered buyouts to everyone and were surprised when 15 took them. Pubisher says a few hires will be made . . . but with a more digital skill set.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Fixed.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. For a paper of that size? You need 2 to cover the Gamecocks alone.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No kidding. What a shame.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Two is not enough. The baseball program has won a couple of recent NCAA World Series and draws a lot of interest. I was in Charleston on business in 2010 when the team won the NCAA and the Charleston paper gave the team a lot of space (I think a special section). I would think there is at least as much interest in Colombia in the team and they at least need to staff home games. And the woman's basketball team was a number one seed and went to the Final four.

They must be planning to hire a couple of extra reporters.

I hope.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So The State, a metro-ish daily by all accounts now has the sports staff of a small daily or an ambitious weekly newspaper?

That is almost amazing if it wasn't so sad.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't think they give el raton's ass about the Gamecocks' baseball team in South America.

Maybe in Columbia...

9. DownSouthDeskDude

DownSouthDeskDude New Member

This used to be an APSE Triple Crown-type section when I was there. We did some great stuff. Now, just a shell of what it was. Feel bad for those who are left behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted