1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seymour Hersh report: WH lied about Bin Laden raid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 11, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Everybody's on the other side of this one than the last time his name came up, huh?

He is the most wildly hit-or-miss reporter going. My Lai was the scoop of a generation, Abu Ghraib less so but still important ... but then he committed an Erdely-level sin of falling for a hoax about JFK and Marilyn Monroe and how she died.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Boo fuckimg Hoo. Poor Osama was unarmed. His wives and children looked on. Sob sob. Assassination, murder, betrayal. Wasn't even given a proper burial. Waaaaah.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

So Seymour Hersh is this decade's Kitty Kelley?

This story could be 100 percent true, but nobody who is familiar with Hersh's previous work will believe one word of it.

6. RecoveringJournalist

I wasn't believing the "proper burial" story for a second when it came out, but it was a very smart move to lie about it though.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Didn't Arthur Schlesinger refer to Hersh as "the most gullible reporter I've ever encountered"

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What's funny is that on the Journalism thread, someone posts about how his body of work lends the story credibility.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wrote this on the other thread, but would it really shock anyone if an intelligence official already had him in custody and covertly gave him up for $25 million in blood money?

Or, that the burial story was a blatant lie? I seem to remember at the time a great deal of hand-wringing about pissing off the entire Muslim world if the U.S. didn't at least respectfully bury him once he was assassinated.

Funny how things change...

10. RecoveringJournalist

It's interesting with people like Woodward and Hersh, and maybe a few others who won Pulitzers early in their careers for incredible reporting and it seems like they spend the bulk of their careers trying to make themselves as relevant as they were when they were winning Pulitzers.

Is the Kennedy book they only real mark against Hersh? I thought there was something else in the last decade, but I might be getting him mixed up with someone else.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pierre Salinger would have thought this story was bullshit.

Hersh has been off his rocker for years.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I don't accept "Well, he did great reporting during the Vietnam War" as a reason to believe him.

Also, even if every word of this story is true, I don't care. I understand that there are things that go on that can't, or shouldn't be shared with the public, because there are a lot of people who don't understand what is necessary to get something like this done.

I heard someone say, "Well, Obama used this to get re-elected." and even as a republican, that doesn't bother me either.

Riptide likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted