1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.commer seeking feedback/advice on entertainment startup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete, May 11, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Fellow SJ.commers,

I’m seeking both your feedback and advice. I’ve joined a former Goldman Sachs colleague – that was my pre-sportswriting career – as the Co-Founder and Editor in Chief of a new startup called CharacTour.

(Spiel alert) You can think of CharacTour as a character-focused Pandora for entertainment. We help you find your next favorite movie, TV show, book, or video game based on what we think matters most: characters. Through our “Get Matched” personality quiz and recommendations based on similar characters – both utilizing our patent-pending matching algorithm – we suggest characters we think you’ll love. And then you can get to know those characters via detailed profiles to decide for yourself who you want to spend your precious leisure time with.

That’s the goal, anyway! After raising $650K and keeping hours that I handled better as a 23-year-old, we launched a beta version of the site in February. We will launch publicly this summer.

Which brings me to my two "asks":

1) We’d love for people to check out the beta and tell us what you think. You can do so by going to (Join Our Private Beta - CharacTour: Find characters you'll love and making a registered account.

2) If you like what you see, could you suggest any entertainment, tech, financial, or other writers/outlets that might consider writing about CharacTour? As you all know, getting connected through a mutual acquaintance, or even being able to drop a familiar name in the subject line of an email, greatly increases the chances of cutting through the clutter. We would love to get some media coverage of our public launch this summer to help the site, well, take off.

Feel free to DM me or email me at pete@charactour.com.

Thanks,
    Pete (McEntegart)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You went from Goldman Sachs to sports writing?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Does this involve nakedness and sex?

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Yes. Clearly I was not fit to give financial advice of any kind.

5. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Alas, no. Well, some profiles talk about sex – it's hard to discuss, say, Californication characters without it – but no nakedness.

Draft saved Draft deleted